Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TI or AI?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yakaboutit wrote:
Regarding purchase and deliverly, I ordered my TI on 5/23/10 and paid half down and was told the boat would arrive by the end of June. Now, my dealer can't seem to tell me when to expect delivery. So, I'm watching the summary go by and have no expected delivery date. You may have better luck being in FL. They probably ship a lot more boats to FL than to OK.

Mate I am from Melbourne Australia; what hope do you think I have. We are in the middle of winter so I have time; nut not much, I want my TI or AI for spring in a few months :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will try to get some pictures in the next few days, I you have two passengers one can ride on the tramp on the windward side( and ready to switch on the tack ) and one can ride in the cargo compartment in a seat back to back to the skipper.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For Aussies, my dealer - Josh 'Yakass' Holmes - advises that he has some 'relatively firm news' that more TIs will be arriving 'towards the end of July'. Until then, I'll have to be content with haunting these forums. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
For Aussies, my dealer - Josh 'Yakass' Holmes - advises that he has some 'relatively firm news' that more TIs will be arriving 'towards the end of July'. Until then, I'll have to be content with haunting these forums. :?

I'm with you :!: :!:

I have just found out the show special. Sounds ok.

My local dealer has also promised that if I am not happy he will give me a refund.

I am leaning towards the TI I am just afraid of roof toping and managing the craft out of the water.

I have a 16ft hobie cat that was a monster years and years ago, so I just have this in the back of my mind. I know the TI will not be anywhere near the 16ft cat in weight or land storage BUT :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went with the TI so I can get my kids into sailing etc. Paul, have you checked out the 'Transportation' forum? Lots of info there. I've opted to have a purpose built trailer made up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is the photo of the seats on the tramps.

http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr24 ... t%20seats/

Dan[img]http://s488.photobucket.com/albums/rr242/3827da/boat%20seats/
[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's interesting about your passengers Dan. What sort of weight (if it's not a rude question) are we talking for the extras ?

I rang my local dealer up this morning and put a deposit on an AI which I'll collect in a couple of weeks. What swayed me was mainly the roof topping on a normal sedan as well as the fact that I'll be sailing off the beach in front of my house when the ocean and skies beckon at the drop of a hat and that involves going over a small dune with a bit of a slope down to the beach proper thanks to a cyclone up north belting the beach last year. I reckon I can an AI back up the dune on the Trax but would struggle with a TI.

Then there's getting the much bigger craft out through the beach break which has got the potential to smash me if it get's a bit sideways....so AI it is and I can't wait.

Ken.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I should add that the other factor that swayed me was delivery. AI's are immediate and TI's are a best guess....3 months. I want to make the most of our winter when the ocean is relatively calm and free of white caps.

I might add, it's the middle of winter here and the temp is 73 F. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The maximum recommended weight on the AI is 169kg. I've been near that with a friend on board and while the boat was a bit sluggish on a reach, it still handled it fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Chris. I'll be hitting about 155 kg with my friend. Do they just sit on the tramps ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can sit a passenger either on the tramps or in the rear cargo area OG. I think it depends to some extent on the weather conditions and how active your passenger is. If it's really windy and you have a passenger on one tramp, you are going to end up with the boat overloaded to leeward half of the time. You can get around this by swapping with each other, so that one of you is always on the windward tramp and the other is in the seat. Alternatively, you can just sit a less active passenger on the starboard tramp and sit out on the port tramp yourself when the wind is coming from the port side. That way, you can still reach the tiller without an extension, but there is no-one in the seat to pedal.
Alternatively, you can put a kayak seat in the rear cargo area, facing backwards, which is quite comfortable for the passenger and keeps the boat balanced. If your passenger happens to have some experience with Japanese martial arts, they can also kneel facing forward in the cargo area "seiza" style, with their feet tucked under them, but most people find this gets uncomfortable fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Chris.

My sailing mate is pretty agile so she'll be able to slide across me as required. :mrgreen:

Ken.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well, I have just come back from the boat show and Guess what!
I brought the TI.
I cant get it until September; not too fussed as it is the middle of winter. September will start to be nice weather.
I plan to car top it.

I have read all the transport forums; however most have large cars, I have an average family sedan. If I find it too much on top of the roof, I will go out and get a trailer.

If anyone is interested; I ordered the red, it goes faster :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OasisGuy wrote:
Thanks Chris.

My sailing mate is pretty agile so she'll be able to slide across me as required. :mrgreen:

Ken.

Hmm, sounds like you may break new ground in the art of carrying two people on an AI. Please feel free to post photos :wink:.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OasisGuy wrote:
That's interesting about your passengers Dan. What sort of weight (if it's not a rude question) are we talking for the extras ?

I rang my local dealer up this morning and put a deposit on an AI which I'll collect in a couple of weeks. What swayed me was mainly the roof topping on a normal sedan as well as the fact that I'll be sailing off the beach in front of my house when the ocean and skies beckon at the drop of a hat and that involves going over a small dune with a bit of a slope down to the beach proper thanks to a cyclone up north belting the beach last year. I reckon I can an AI back up the dune on the Trax but would struggle with a TI.

Then there's getting the much bigger craft out through the beach break which has got the potential to smash me if it get's a bit sideways....so AI it is and I can't wait.

Ken.

I am 82K my passenger is about 60 k, I sometime switch over and go on the tramp and try to seat on top of the rear aka there is less drag .
I also lives on the water I have a 8 foot retaining wall as an obstacle so what I did I built a ramp using a 2x10, 16 ft in lenght so I can slide the AI up and down no problem.