Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To be honest, that passenger was getting on my nerves anyway. :evil:

Mahalo Chekika, it'll be shrimp then - when they're safe to eat again!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rusty_sojah wrote:
so i weigh about 140 lbs right now and i am curious if i could do what the guy in the video did to right my TI?? i really don't want to practice it but just hope that if it ever happened i could undo one tramp and collapse that side ama/aka and then stand on the other side and try to right it like the video. thanks for the instructional video,, i now feel a little more confident about that.

i actually have a 15 lb weight tied to a 35 ft rope that sits on top in my back netting that would prolly fall out and act as an anchor while i was trying to right it, unless the water was deeper than this :? not sure if this would help or hurt??

I was going to suggest carrying a tow line on your TI for use as leverage on the opposite Ama, but if you can grab that 35 ft rope, and use it to pull, the job will be easier. If it's on extended Aka/tramp (with you) it's probably helping already.

To collapse an Aka, you need to release the tramp first. From that position you would likely be able to grab a handful of loose tramp to assist the pulling effort.

OK, TI owners. Looking forward to phase 2 of testing! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have a 10 (or 12 i forget which ) ft dakine leash i keep strapped to my ankle when i'm out by myself that i could use as a rope for leverage if need be, but when there is 2 of us out in the TI i don't use it,, but if there are 2 then we would weigh all of 245 lbs, maybe even 250 cuz we'd be dripping wet :D and hopefully that is more than enough to perform that cool trick of flipping it back over.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok TxYackMan...do you want to flip your new TI over and video the recovery for the folks?...

Ron

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ron34422 wrote:
Ok TxYackMan...do you want to flip your new TI over and video the recovery for the folks?...

Ron

OK, I second that. With Mark's luck, what could happen? :lol:

Besides, he's all over-insured now, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nohuhu, who you...
O'ahu AI/TI gang going Kahana on Saturday. Why don't you join us? We're working on getting a hui/club going . Sorry to change the thread.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm really surprised that the AI did a complete 180 when it got knocked down.

I had the port rear aka pop out of my TI a couple of weeks ago and when the dust settled the boat was floating on its port side with the starboard ama sticking up in the air. I never felt it was even starting to go past 90 degrees'

It stayed on its side long enough for me to release my main sheet (This is a very important step or you might have your boat sail away without you once you right it.) and swim around to the bottom of the boat. I then made about 6 to 10 attempts to grab one of the carrying handles on the starboard side but could not find one until a friend in a kayak told me that I was too far back. Once I got a grip on the handle all I had to do was hold on and the boat came up.

Once up I re-installed the aka and furled the sail before getting back in the boat.

I now have the bottom of my tandem marked to show where the handles are located & my akas tied in while I wait for a new one because the old one came with a screw with its head sheared off so the new parts could not be intalled on it.

I don't own tramps so they were not an issue.

Jerry

2008 AI