Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a retired pilot who can't wait till my new red TI arrives. Gonna be sailing and pedaling her on the intercoastal and eventually out the inlet into the ocean. (South Florida, West Palm Beach area)
I have owned crusing type sailboats in the past but only sailed in inland lakes up north.
Anyone have ideas on what I should expect? Look out for? Am trying to figure out water depths in intercoastal etc, don't want to damage the fins or rudder by running aground.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

g2pilot:
Welcome to the Hobie family you are going to love your TI it is by far the most versatile boat on the market today. We are out on our TI every weekend, there is just so much you can do with the boat. We are also scuba divers, my wife and I use ours as a diving platform. We strap up to 4 tanks onto the AKA bars, and lash our BC's and dive bags down to the trampolines. We rigged an old sail that we use for a biminy to shade us when we are out all day. We made a small ladder (from rope and PVC tubing) to be able to climb on the boat. We spend half of our time on the west coast around Tampa bay, and the other half down in Key West (better winds and diving in Key West). Actually my wifes favorite scuba diving place is drift diving just off Boca Raton (we have not taken our TI out there yet though). The TI is also very capable as just a Kayak, we often river kayak up at the Santa Fe river and Crystal river areas. We have had the boat a little over a year now and have over 800 miles on the boat with no major problems, and when I did have problems ( a cracked hull, caused by the scupper cart) , Hobie and the dealer promptly addressed the problem and replaced the hull (make sure to discuss proper loading and transport of the boat with the dealer, especially if using a scupper cart) . One thing you will find out very quickly is that Hobie backs and supports their stuff like no other company out there.
I wouldn't fret too much about shallow water, you quickly get the feel of how deep the water is and learn to lock your pedal drives up against the hull in shallow water where they are pretty safe from damage. The new rudder system is very tolerant of shallow water, if you release the down latch on the rudder when in shallow water it rises up gently dragging the bottom without damage until you get back into deeper water. You can pretty safely go in 5-6 inches of water without damaging the boat. Even the centerboard if it runs aground will automatically break loose from it's latch and rise up as needed, once your back in deeper water you simply lock it back down. I would get the trampoline option, with the tramps you can easily carry 3 adults, or two adults and two kids (600 lbs max), plus we keep coolers, beach umbrellas, etc on them for whatever the day has in store for us. The TI can be taken out in open water but make sure you have all the neccessary safety gear and have a good safety plan with shore support if going off shore. The boat is very capable we have been caught in 30mph plus winds and 3-4 foot waves in open sea (not on purpose) and the boat handled everything well (It's very difficult to tip over). You will find out however because the boat is so light it is almost impossible to go upwind in anything over 25 mph winds, it's best to say home in those conditions. We try to only go out in 5 to 15 mph winds, where it's most fun. When the waves get too big you get very wet, and it's not as fun. Pay attention to the tides and the gulf stream in your area, it can be very difficult getting back in when the tide is going out. The inlets near you can be very swift at times. Have fun
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Bob for your detailed reply to my post. You have reduced my fears of broken rudder,damaged hull to some extent, I can't wait till my TI arrives in 2 weeks or so.
I ordered the bimini for it, but now I am having second thoughts about will it work or be in the way while sailing?
I am a scuba diver also, but haven't been active with diving in the last 10 years, am thinking snorking off the TI would be enjoyable too.
Stan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

Those were some great tips! Yep, it's just such a fun craft.

FusionEng,

I'm curious, what was the lead time for a new TI? I got my in stock a couple of months ago and am so glad I did, I was concerned about having it sold out from under me and having to wait for one from the factory.

I got the tramps and have had a full load with two large adults and two 90 lb kids. It doesn't move nearly as well when loaded up. It's so easy to sail single handed. I'm in the process of outfitting it for fishing. Just way too much fun! Enjoy!!

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Stan.

Bob's post perfectly describes the versatility of the TI. It is amazing how little draft of water this boat requires to sail. I couldn't agree more.

During the week, we launch our TI into the southern end of the Lake Worth Lagoon in Boynton Beach. You are invited to take a look at our setup and sail with me while you wait for your boat.

There are several other TI owners here in the Palm Beach County area. One of our members, snjsanders, is an active pilot.

This weekend, will be meeting in Ft. Pierce and sailing the Indian River and the Ft. Pierce Inlet. On the weekend of 8/12/2011, we will be meeting in Hutchinson Island and sailing the southern end of the Indian River and the St. Lucie Inlet. Send me a PM if you are interested in joining us with your TI for any of these events.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome aboard Stan!

Glad to know there will soon be another TI sailor in our area. I'm just a little North of you in Martin County (Palm City/Stuart). Mark, snjsanders and myself meet often in Jupiter or my area to sail together. It's a bit quieter up here. We have all learned from each other and you are more than welcome to join us anytime. Feel free to send me a PM as well. We were just waiting for someone to come along with a red TI to test the "red goes faster theory". :P Ours are papaya and Mark and I will confirm the yellow "babe magnet theory" to be an accurate one. :mrgreen: Either way, you're going to love your new boat!

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Red will match my tow car, a red Pontiac. Should I name my new TI "PontiYak" ? LOL anyway I thank you fo your invite to join you guys up there in Martin county, and I will be happy to do that.

Stan