Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: single handing a TI
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the things I best like about the Hobie AI is the just huge wind range it has. I often sail at a high mountain lake that will have winds come up fast and strong and the AI is fun when there is no wind and still fun in winds that would be terror in most other types of sailing boats.

I’m thinking about getting a TI (still keep the AI) and would be 95% of the time single hand sailing it (I understand that its a two person boat). I don’t really understand how you can control the sail and rudder from either the front or back locations but I understand you some how can.

So which position do people sail from when single handing a TI?

And.. for anyone who also has spent a fair amount of time on an AI, does the TI have as much wind range as the AI? I will only be using the TI on lakes but am hoping that it would handle the windy conditions single handed as well as the AI does..

(picture of high mountain lake sailing from a couple weeks ago)

Post subject: Re: single handing a TI
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail from the front seat in my TI. Most others sail from the back. I like being closer to the lines. and centered in the hull.

TI sails earlier in light winds (larger mast & sail). It takes more work to sail than an AI in over 18mph winds (in my opinion).

Best choice is to have one of each if space and $'s aren't an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks.. just what I was looking for.

The AI has the highest wind range of anything I have ever sailed on non- frozen water - so slightly less for the TI probably still means its got a huge range.

Last time I was out on the AI, I "happened into" doing a downwinder in white caps with 1 to 2 foot waves - doing a little wind blown wave surfing. I was wearing a dry suit (mountain lake at 8600 feet) and completely comfortable - huge fun!!! I had the sail reefed somewhat and felt in control. But.. I did have a fleeting thought of what a drag it would have been to have something major bust.. Must be a somewhat of a problem for Hobie since Im probably not the only one who enjoys taking that boat out in fairly high winds..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey wait...there's more :wink:

Love the shot you posted.
I own an AI but what I have noticed over the years moving from a 14' Enterprise dinghy to owing a 27' monohull (plus crewing on cats and monos up to 50 footers as racing crew).
I used to tow a 17 foot daysailer into some of the most amazing lakes in the Canadian Rockies and had a blast....literally!
As you well know in your experience in high altitude lakes, you get a very fast mixed bag of wind conditions based on the Venturis flying down from the mountain passes near the lakes.
I also learned that the smaller the boat is, the faster your reaction time has to be to stay out of trouble.
I've never sailed a TI yet I'm working on it in the near future to purchase one.
This larger boat has more power, yet I would venture to think (based on past experience), the TI should give you maybe a bit more time to get your act in order in case you get nailed by gusts.
But considering the difference in size and a much larger sail, I very much doubt that the time line would make a large difference.
Just my opinion, hope you might find this helpful, wait.

I agree, the center cockpit position seems a natural for the TI. for balance and ease of mobility if you need to get at gear in quick order. (According to my dealer, that is the intended position to solo the TI by Hobie)

Trinomite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer the back when sailing solo but either seem to work. I have a 5 gallon jug I fill up with water and put in the front bow hatch, which helps keep the bow from slamming all over the place and makes things a bit smoother. I also added a wedge to the furling cleat to make it a little easier to lock the furling line from the back seat.

Almost forgot, it is a whole lot dryer in the back seat.

2 of us on this shot - I was out on the tramp but u get the idea.
Note : No spray shields on this one...

P1000830.jpg by PhotoByMark, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I greatly enjoyed sailing an AI for two years, and then got a TI last year. Many years ago, I sailed on a high mountain lake in Colorado, and I've sailed on lakes in New England. My preferred sailing venue is salt water, but I admire the patience and fortitude of those who sail in the mountains.

With that background, I would say that the TI is a much better sailboat than the AI whether singlehanded or with two on board. I sail the TI from the forward position because it's easier to get at the furling gear and because I sail in a tidal estuary where I need to be able to raise an lower the centerboard fairly often. When I say that the TI is a better sailboat, what I mean is that I often sail it without putting a Mirage drive in at all. The TI will come about under sail much more readily than the AI. It also ghosts better in very light winds and can carry sail longer in increasing wind. (I have to admit that my AI had the old rudder, and that meant that I had to reef sooner just to keep the rudder from popping out, so the comparison isn't entirely fair.) I haven't been tempted to hike out on the tramps in a real blow, but the longer amas on the TI resist heeling more effectively.

The ability to take another passenger (actually more than one if you use the tramps) is another reason to choose the TI. My wife thought the AI was nice; but.... She loves the TI. And being able to load up the tramps with small grandchildren is great fun.

What you should also factor in is the fact that the TI is a lot more boat to handle out of the water. It can be single handed by a fit person who figures out all the necessary moves, but it is not as easy to single hand on land as the AI is.

PBurling

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI is looking like a great option.

FYI, I think the AI is just a wonderful invention for high mountain sailing along with a dry suit (which I wear up there almost every time I go out). The lake I sail at is Elevenmile and one end of the lake is very interesting for kayaking but it’s in general a windy place. I love the AI up there because I know I’m going to have fun (as opposed to fearing for my life - been there plenty of times) regardless of the weather.

In the fall, it’s a great place to view the Aspen changing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great shot guys and I agree with you, both boats have their own set of pros and cons

In all honesty, I'm a disabled person with a serious chronic back problem.
Considering that fact when my dealer saw me limp into his shop he strongly suggested that I buy an AI as he also knew the steep shoreline in front of my home would be a serious issue. I solved most of the problems yet why should I have to? It should be easy to launch a heavy kayak, yet as the weight increases, it becomes harder by the pound (kilo)
Yah I bought the AI and after spending considerable time and money, I think I would have been better off buying a TI on a trailer. (however putting a hitch on my ML320 cdi, it would have cost as much as the boat was worth.
So we learn, yet I've grown an affinity for this micro sized boat and want to see it go to another level further...."da Plane, Boss, DA PLANE!"
There is also a limit to how much money I intend to spend.
If the wheel needs reinvention, maybe a 30-35 foot Baltic Motorsailer might be better suited for my needs. (Fisher 30+)
Yet why not keep a TI on the foredeck and lift it off with a mobile crane.

Life is only one set of affordabilities passed by another set as Life changes.
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wait
You might find this amusing:
Last Winter my wife insisted that we take our 5th wheel out of storage in Lake Havasu, AZ and beat the cold on Vancouver Island, Canada
We drove down as I bought a new toy along the way: Sevylor inflatable Stand up Paddle Board. Of course, I always carry my old dry suit
After a long weary trip we finally got hooked up and got comfy in our new toasty RV pad
I put on my suit and inflated the board.
Within 15 minutes, I almost passed out from the heat generated by that suit that kept me toasty when the temp at home was almost in the 40's.
Heat happens... :lol:
Be well
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TxYackMan

That shot is amazing even though you needed a flash (unless your meter got fooled).
You froze it perfectly.
I'm a firm believer that the almost square configuration of the Hobie Islands lend themselves well as photo platforms.
I would be thrilled to see, in future, how well we as photo imagers can push this beyond the limit of what is possible now.

(Hint: If you have a boom on your akas, they can also be tilted 180 degrees below the water to skim the waves on the 1/2 point on the lens). I doubt that much editing would be needed as people are glued to the screen as they skim on top and below the ocean at the same time.

Best regards
Fred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TxYackMan
I should have also mentioned that compositing both images is not that hard if you have 2 sets of vids, on top and below....and a good Editing Suite.

It may seem as trickery, but who cares, the manipulation of the images is the mastery. How you got there is your own business based on a very steep learning curve and great rewards if you get it right.

Fred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Btw: the present trend for Reality Shows needs tons of outdoor footage.

If you can put together a theme backed up with a lot of footage, you might have a winner. (or a least a demo to get a producer's interest)

Remember though, you are competing with the 'Tube' crowd, who have no problem jumping off a 4 story condo on their bikes.

You will need high def action cams shot in HD (That also means you need almost a monster Comp to even look at these images when you import these images)

There is a need for SMOOTH footage that puts the viewer inches off the water at 8 to 10 knots (Nat Geo, for example). There are also the the ability to get footage on unusual foreign roads that rarely get film on a motorcycle or a very fast car (Speed Channel). If it is steady (more than you think is needed) footage in high Def (mounted on the vehicle/boat), you could possibly sell it.

A great action cam is the Contour System of cameras. Their small size and affordability can allow you to mount multiple cameras inches off the ground/water and make a multi-cam run in one take . These are tough cams with very solid mounts. If you loose one, you lost a $250 cam and mount. No biggy if you get that one in a Mil series of shots that could make or break an action film.

Also look into SteadyCams and Manfrotto Vid heads if you are serious about this (and yes this is very expensive gear) as a means to make a hobby into a living.

Consider also to volunteer your time with a low budget doc film crew to gain knowledge and experience as an Intern.

There is also the stock footage market that demands your footage is (almost)perfect or at least 5 times as much as needed so they can get the best of the best.

Unless you are making your own film and want to sell to these vendors DO NOT edit. Let them decide what and how much they want. Their intent is to buy something that is not already in their archives. So look up their archives and see if your footage is new and fresh.

I don't need to remind you that if it goes on the 'Tube' it will be a lost cause.

(and no I'm not buying any footage or giving out producers' name and numbers)

Good Luck and Steady, steady , SMOOTH footage!

Trinomite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Last Winter my wife insisted that we take our 5th wheel out of storage in Lake Havasu, AZ and beat the cold on Vancouver Island, Canada

Someday in the future (and the future is currently moving farther and farther out..), hope to spend considerable time at Lake Havasu in the winter - this is one of reasons Im looking at the TI on a trailer..

Some pictures of kayaking and sail kayaking there from the last year and half..
http://analogengineering.com/havasu/kayak.html

Some sailing shots all taken last Feb
http://analogengineering.com/havasu/sail.html

General shots of the area
http://analogengineering.com/havasu/havasu.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Amazing - a lake in the desert - cool place to sail.

Enjoyed those shots of the old "London Bridge". Cruised down there on the Harleys a few years back.

Thanks Walt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

walt wrote:
[quote
Some pictures of kayaking and sail kayaking there from the last year and half..
http://analogengineering.com/havasu/kayak.html

Hey Wait
Thank you so much for those bitter sweet memories.
Beautiful Memories of a place my wife and I so enjoyed.

Thanks again, buddy
Fred