Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had one of those "Interesting" evperiences yesterday.

Wind in the mid-to-high teens - at which speed I often prefer to sail without the Mirage Drive.

Was briefly tempted to just leave it on the beach instead of taking the trouble to stow it.

Wind increased rapidly, and then a squall with 50+ mph winds came through....Being admittedly stupid - but not crazy - I beached and took shelter.

After it passed, I found myself trying to launch in to a 25-30 mph dead onshore wind. viz https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 1549465170 (I was beached less than 100' from that weather station).

Didn't take long before it became obvious that there was no way to walk the boat out far enough to be able to deploy rudder, centerboard, and sail and then gain headway before being blown back on to the beach.

It was looking like a looooooong walk home when I thought of the Mirage Drive in the fore hatch.

To make a long story short, it actually worked into a 30+ mph headwind: walked the boat out to waist-deep, jumped onboard, and pedaled my brains out.....Slowly inching upwind/offshore until I could get moving under sail power.

There is no way in the world I could have done that paddling.

From now on, no matter what the conditions, the Mirage Drive stays in or on the boat.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep mirage is a beast in a headwinds, even in a regular kayak mode.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to agree, I chose a Hobie BECAUSE of the Mirage Drive, although I always have the MD secured into the cockpit with half a metre of nice strong 3mm dyneema just in case I remove it (usually only when I am coming in to land. For those newbies reading this, ALWAYS have a safety line on your Mirage Drive...if you drop them over the side (I did once) it's an $800+ mistake. When cruising anyway, I occasionally pedal for 10 minutes or so to keep the circulation going.
Cheers Vintagereplica...If it works ok, Modify it anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vintagereplica wrote:
I have to agree, I chose a Hobie BECAUSE of the Mirage Drive,...m
I did not have that kind of foresight.

My choice was dictated by the AI's seeming to be the only one on my list able to cope more-or-less geacelfully with submerged objects and sudden sand bars.

But now that I have it, the Mirage Drive has become the redeeming characteristic of my AI.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why would you want to sail without the drive installed?

Why would you take it out when you are in the water?

Do you need a leash on it if you don't intend on removing it? (can it just fall spontaneously?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Toller, the boat sails better (faster) without the drive. Unless you are sitting in the cockpit and pedal-sailing, you really don't need it in open water.

For many other situations, like launching, fishing etc, it's fantastic to have.

I would encourage everyone to pull the drive and experience pure sailing as much as possible. (Leashed of course).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Toller wrote:
Do you need a leash on it if you don't intend on removing it? (can it just fall spontaneously?)
Probably a matter of opinion.

Personally, I would not even think of having an Mirage Drive without a leash: it's too cheap, too simple, and too easy.

Besides the convenience the leash adds for carrying/hanging, there is the near-certainty that sooner or later you will wind up removing that $600+ drive in or around water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PeteCress wrote:
To make a long story short, it actually worked into a 30+ mph headwind: walked the boat out to waist-deep, jumped onboard, and pedaled my brains out.....Slowly inching upwind/offshore until I could get moving under sail power.

There is no way in the world I could have done that paddling.

From now on, no matter what the conditions, the Mirage Drive stays in or on the boat.

I started out with an Outback, so knew all about the joys of the Mirage drive before going to the TI. When heading out on a windy paddle I often joke to others that I provide a free towing service if they find it necessary - and have had a few takers over the years! :lol:

The first time I did that the person I towed was paddling forward but being blown backward! I grabbed their bow handle and we continued on our way. There was a social paddle at a local lake where all the "newbies" were taken into a cove - but then had to go straight into the wind to get back to the launch point. One person would give up, ask for help, I'd tow them out to where they turned crosswind, head back in and someone else would ask for help.

I never notice much reduction in speed or greater effort when doing this, I've often wondered how many I could tow at once... Get a rope, have several hang on, and make a train! (I'd have to tie the rope to my yak somehow, the one weak link in this is my shoulder, it can get a bit sore after hanging on to a bow handle for any distance!)

The most recent version of this was a bit different. A friend and I were on a lake fishing just after sunset. No storms forecast. Just as it's getting properly dark we were startled by a blinding bright flash - then a few seconds later the rumble of thunder! I look at the radar and this pop-up cell had formed nearby and was headed straight for us! We head back to the boat ramp. I'm looking at the radar, then at my friend paddling along slowly (he doesn't have a Hobie) and I finally said "stop paddling!" grabbed his bow handle and kicked into high speed. He's wishing he had bought a Hobie now...! :mrgreen:

Toller wrote:
Why would you want to sail without the drive installed?

Why would you take it out when you are in the water?

I haven't done much sailing without the drive yet, I still have trouble tacking without using it for a few kicks. However I do take it out fairly often on the water. Sometimes it's just nice to have extra foot room, say if I'm anchored for lunch or just relaxing or want to stand up and move around a bit. Also when getting into shallow areas, especially on my Outback, I can get several inches shallower without grounding if the drive is out. I also prefer to avoid getting stuck - so many times on the Outback I've hit bottom where with a clean hull I'd just back out and no problem, but with the drive in the hub snags something and I have a devil of a time getting free again!

More essential, though, is to take them out as I approach shore. I usually use concrete boat ramps to launch and the concrete will scar up the chain on the drive pretty badly if it bumps ground. Had a friend along on one sail and he accidentally knocked his drive into the water as he got onto the haka ready to step onto the ramp when we arrived. Fortunately the leash made that a non-event. Our water is so murky we'd likely not have found the drive even though it was probably just 4-6 feet deep at that location.

I've wondered how easily the drive could accidentally fall out myself. I think as long as it's properly clipped in it's probably okay but so many times I've found one of the catches doesn't properly hold. This is more common on my '13 Outback where the drive sits much deeper in the well, I haven't noticed much trouble with the '15 TI.