Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The line for raising/lowering my rudder is visibly frayed at the rudder.

Is there any sense in pre-emptively replacing it?

i.e. Is the job any easier with an intact line in place?

If not, it seems logical to just wait until it parts.... figuring that it might last a long time as-is.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's a good question. I'm new to this forum but it would seem you would want to replace the lines before they fail. One of my concerns is how do you steer without a rudder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Shark Fighter wrote:
That's a good question. I'm new to this forum but it would seem you would want to replace the lines before they fail. One of my concerns is how do you steer without a rudder.

SF, If you do a search on the forum you will see some back-up steering solutions described. Others, myself included have our outboards as a steering back-up.

However, I would also like to hear from the forum opinions regarding pre-emptive replacement.

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The lines that Pete is talking about are the rudder UP/DOWN lines, not the rudder CONTROL lines. I discussed the fraying of these lines at the bottom of this page: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=315&_ga=2.254231048.1428508616.1496372583-76725260.1489714288

Of course, it makes sense to replace them before they break.

I have also discussed my backup, external rudder control lines here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=915

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If the rudder down line breaks and you are out at sea you might have some major issues getting to shore. That down line has to be there to hold the rudder in the lowered position. If it comes up you effectively loose any ability to steer and the loads on the rudder cables go way up. I envisioned using the rudder trailering bunge as a temporary rig to hold it down but never tried it. It would create some drag but would likely get you back. Fiddling in the back hatch out in the ocean is not something you really want to mess with. That said the spectra line is tough so it should last a long time

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bosab wrote:
If the rudder down line breaks and you are out at sea you might have some major issues getting to shore. That down line has to be there to hold the rudder in the lowered position. If it comes up you effectively loose any ability to steer and the loads on the rudder cables go way up. I envisioned using the rudder trailering bunge as a temporary rig to hold it down but never tried it. It would create some drag but would likely get you back. Fiddling in the back hatch out in the ocean is not something you really want to mess with. That said the spectra line is tough so it should last a long time

Excellent point, Charlie.

With your post outburst here, are planning on getting another TI?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shark Fighter wrote:
One of my concerns is how do you steer without a rudder.
There are a number of solutions posted on this forum.

This is the one that I have embraced - and I've tested it up to wind speeds of 20 mph.

High-teens, it got a little squirrely - but putting some reef into the sail cured that.

Have yet to test it in 30+ winds, but my hope is that, with enough reef, it will get me to the beach.

But then, of course, there is the prospect of the rudder system failing in such a way that the rudder is cocked hard left or hard right and also cannot be raised..... Dunno how that plays out, and I've gotta test it, although I am coming up empty on how to simulate it..... Push-comes-to-shove, I guess it comes to exiting the boat and pulling the rudder pin.

Last edited by PeteCress on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bosab wrote:
That said the spectra line is tough so it should last a long time
I agree that Spectra is tough, but here is what mine looks like after two seasons: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... JaRW5TYzBR

Note that the "Up" side is almost virgin, while the downside is visibly worn every outside of the obvious chafe point.

That is with the rudder a few degrees from totally down.

Totally down, the wear spot is right where the line passes through the hull.

Figuring that Spectra is tougher than plastic - and having the steering paddle as backup - I am tempted to just leave it as-is, figuring that the Spectra will smooth out the burr or whatever it is in the through-hull plastic thingie.