Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shear bolt replacement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to replace the bolt on the Aka brace. The manual mentions the backup bolt that's already on the brace, and the extra bolts included with the boat. The issue is - both of those have different nuts than the original.

The backup one, attached to the brace, is the same bolt, but is kept in place by a circular wire that is threaded through it. The extra one, included with spare parts, includes a white nylon nut.

The original one is a black metal nut. I can get another one of these, cheaply, but wondering which one is the best. I'm thinking the backup with circular wire, since it can't unthread. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The nut itself is irrelevant since the bolt is what shears, so metal or nylon shouldn't matter.

The reason the spare on the boat a split ring isn't by accident.

If the shear bolt breaks, the bottom part with the nut attached will fall off into the abyss and be gone. Considering you may very likely be out on the water with no tools, you wouldn't be able to remove or install a nut my hand, so the spare uses a split ring to allow you to get it out of it's spare location and installed with the split ring in place without tools and proceed underway.

Once back at dock, you can use tool to install a nut and put a spare and split ring back in place.

So now you may be wondering "why use a nut at all?" Having the nut allows you to tighten it up a bit to remove the play in the connection which should, in theory, allow the bolt to hold up long since it's not slopping around.

Most of this is deductive reasoning. Most things I've found on Hobie's stuff were thought through by an engineer and not just happenstance, sure they occasionally get something wrong, but they get a lot of the details right.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a nylon wingnut on the bolt. Allows u to tighten up without the need of any tools.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk