Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Own a 2018 and 2019 AI (His and Hers), also an older 2008. Been pushing them really hard, 12-20 knot winds with higher gusts. Lake Tahoe sailor. Top speeds of 8-9+ knots, lots of spray. I weigh 250#, wife weighs 150#. Her top speed higher as she leaves me in her wake but don't have Garmin set up for her, but estimate10-15% faster.
Noticeable difference in how bow sits in the water. I'm getting fire hosed while wife sitting relatively high and dry. We previously owned Corsair F-24-2 so familiar with trimarans. Have not felt anywhere close to capsize yet, and have not been overpowered, pulled to windward ... yet. Can get it well balanced that can take hand off steerer for 10-15 secs while doing 5-7 knots. However, have had the older 2008 leeward AMA dig so deep it pirouetted. Quite exciting !
Have seen quite a bend in the mast, lots of cracking noises from mast base, and aka/vaka attachment point. Do inspect AMA/AKA attachment before sailing and have not seen any significant wear,

Avoid reefing as, a) it really slows you down, b) sail shape at 1/3 reef with front batten wrapped in a "V" shape at top of mast is pathetic, at 2/3 reef do get a pretty decent shape but so slow might as well pedal!.

Also, is there a way to get a better sail shape at lower wind speeds? Notice the luff is flaccid and couple horizontal wrinkles about third of the way up. When wind picks up does make a pretty decent shape.
I've heard that some attach a line from bow eye to eye on front of AMA to relieve stress of torpedoing into swells. Do I need to do this?
So, am I just lucky, are these really that durable, sturdy? Anyone have a story? and finally,
Is this too many questions for one thread?
Thanks,
The Zudes in Reno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Island are tough and can take a fair bit of wind.

As for your better half out sailing you..... recommend:
- sell the AI
- buy a TI (much faster than the AI) which should overcome your weight disadvantage.

Reefing can put less stress on the kayak ... and paradoxically can increase your speed on certain tacks.

The Island can capsize .... just about all capsizes are from the leeward Akas / Almas folding in unexpectant.....

Ocean surf can do you in ..... only for experienced sailors....even then....stuff can happen....
- Aka pin failure
- Aka brace pop offs
- Aka attachment to H-Bar - break free
- Rudder pin snaps (hitting submerged sandbars...)
- Mast mount retainer bolt snaps ... folding mast over...
- Tiller screw snaps

Of course .... all of these happen at the worst time....offshore sailing or in the surf line / shoal line to port entrances...

You can find a few of these failures on YouTube feed (see links below).

Enjoy.....safely.
https://youtu.be/y-pdwxsolgY
https://youtu.be/UW4QqMrIrVU
https://www.youtube.com/c/powersjr2WW/s ... ak%20hobie

Image2021-04-25_10-39-44 by Jim Powers, on Flickr

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes they can flip but unless an aka fails chances are slim. Aka failure will roll it over before you can even pucker your butt! When it submarines in a puff, try sheeting out a bit, bearing off and then head up again. Regarding sail shape when reefed, yes it is terrible and nothing you can do about it. But at those wind speeds it doesn't matter much anyway.
My add, try getting back in the boat before you have to. I pulled a shoulder muscle when it happened, and had a terrible time getting my fat butt back in the boat. Ended up making a stirrup from the mainsheet. Now have a stirrup rope in the mesh pocket. It loops around a crossbar and give me a foothold to get back into the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for replies... found that the head of the nylon bolt that holds the AKA brace bar has sheared off on both our AI's. Luckily the bolt stayed in place, appears the amount of pressure kept the bolt from falling through. Lesson learned, ALWAYS CHECK THE AKA BOLT ! Remember that stress of submarining AMA is taken totally by that bolt.
Have 2008 V1 and discovered humongous cracks inside AMA - AKA attachment well. Had pushed that boat very hard recently.
Believe that whatever plastic they use becomes brittle over time and will crack at stress points.
I'd attach a pic but this board seems to be antiquated tech, and not savvy enough for you tube..
Something to consider if you are contemplating buying older boat, there is a life span and it it shortened by the harder you push it.
Unfortunately there is a limited amount of repair you can do on these hulls. I ended up junking the boat.