Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Attn: Island Sailors and Groups:

I would like to reach out to all island sailors, groups and fleets about an event we are planning for next spring (May 2023) which we are tentatively calling "The Hobie Island Round-up" At the Waccamaw Sailing Club, Lake Waccamaw, NC.

Lake Waccamaw is a beautiful 3 mi X 5mi, oval shaped lake with very little power boat traffic located about 1/2 way between Wilmington & Lumberton, NC just off I74. Our club currently has 4 AI and 2TI's and interest is growing. Although still in the planning stages, our goal is to bring as many AI & TI sailors together as possible for a fun, pursuit-style race on Saturday and regular racing on Sunday, along with food, music, sailor talk, fish stories, mod swapping and the like.

As we get further along with the planning, I will post a link here for more details, registration info etc.

I know there must be groups, fleets or a few of you here & there at various sailing clubs but I'm having trouble locating you. If you are actively racing your Island, I'd like to correspond about things like handicap AI/TI, if the issue of use of peddles was ever settled, or is it still club choice and do you usually race a triangle course or windward/leeward. Also, if you're interested in being on the email list for this event, please email me at [email protected]

I did came across some old posts in the racing section of this forum 2007-2009 by Jim L, president Chesapeake Hobie Racing Group, and their newly formed Hobie fleet 940 out of Annapolis. Does anyone know if this group is still around, and how to contact? Link posted in his old post no longer works.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Carol L
LakeWacsailors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds interesting. Is there camping at the lake?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few clubs allow TI's to sail their regular regattas, pedals removed or locked, and generally with a handicap of about 94 to 96 D-PN if used in mixed fleet racing.

If you are only going to allow AIs and TIs then you are in a one-design situation and can set your own "class" rules.

If you are planning on doing common windward-leeward or triangle courses Waccamaw is fine. If you are doing any sort of distance racing, which the boat excels at, I'd suggest a place like Jordan.

There are about 15 AI's and TI's here in the Winston, G'Boro, High Point area. Waccamaw is about 3 hours or more from us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailing logic dictates no use if the mirage drives but we all know how terrible the boat is to tack without them and how much they improve high wind stability. And given that we are avid cyclists our legs are up to the task. The challenge would be to set rules so pedaling is allowed but luffing and going on the pedals in a straight line between marks is illegal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
Thanks for your replies and the good racing information. We have refined our planning somewhat and here's what we have so far:

We have changed the event name to Hobie Island Waccamaw Weekend and set the dates for May 20-21, 2023. Event will be hosted by Waccamaw Sailing Club 3100 Canal Cove Rd. Lake Waccamaw, which has staging & launch facilities, bathrooms & showers, etc

The club has camping available onsite for about 25 tents and 5 RV. Additional camping is also available across the lake at Waccamaw State Park. There are also airB & B at lake and an Ok Quality Inn in Whiteville about 15 mins away.

Our plans, while still developing, call for a mark to mark pursuit around the lake on Saturday and racing starting earlyish on Sunday and finishing early-mid afternoon around a triangular course, wind & weather permitting and food, music & general fun.

We hope to launch registration/ticket sales about Jan. 1 Once ready, I will post a link on this forum, Hobie Island Owners Facebook page, and reach out to as many of you I have emails for. Although pricing has not been set yet, we think we will have 3 ticket levels:

1. Event only (60-70 available)
2. Event and tent camping (about 25 available spot picks 1st come basis)
3. Event & RV camping (about 5 available)

Check-in should be open late afternoon Friday May 19

Many of us would like to participate in a distance event at Jordan lake, is anyone organizing that?

Any questions, my email is in the previous post.

Hope to see you there
Carol