Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering purchasing a used Tandem Island and am evaluating a 2016 for $5000 with trailer that has been used less than 15 times only in fresh water and has been garaged. The other option is a 2019 for $7500 with trailer that has been used frequently in fresh and salt water and launched over waves, and it is stored outdoors with a cover. Any thoughts about tradeoffs between the 2 options other than the 180 drives for the 2019?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Both options sound good.

Recommend full inspection of both the TIs and the trailers.

Assuming both TIs are in good shape and the trailers the same....recommend the 2019 Hobie.

Rational - newer, 180 drives, few more minor updates (Aka joints).

Need to understand how you plan to use the TI:
- frequent sails (10-20 X per year) or less than 10 sails per year. - If infrequent go with the 2016 TI. If greater than 10 sails per year go with the 2019 TI
- questions for the trailer - and your expected usage (used just for local launch and long term storage vs. higher volume and longer trips with long term storage). Not all trailers are equal. Need to consider usage, fresh water vs. salt water, trailer material (steel vs. aluminum).

Minor - hull color preference

Hobie TI 2016 - Offshore rig - Outboard - sold
Hobie Kona 2014
Hobie AI 2015 - sold
Hobie Rev 13 2014 - sold
Hobie Outback - 2008 - sold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the prompt response and the guidance Jim as this is my first experience with a Hobie TI and I am excited to get started.
The 2016 TI has a 2015 Triton trailer with a LXT LK2 mast and hull carrier.
The 2019 TI has a 2015 Trailex SUT 450 AID with a Thule Rack and Yakama Rocket Box.

I plan to use the TI over 25 times per year launching at local lakes that are 10 minutes to an hour away. I hope to drive 5 hours to the ocean once per year.

Any suggestions for how to inspect the boat and trailer?

Appreciate the help, and hope I can pay it forward in the forum once I get experience.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A '16 should not have developed any issues, it is a very good model year. But check the mirage drive wells for cracks, the rudder system for up/down movement and the left/right for slop in the lines. Remove the hatch and look at the mast support braces. Any signs of cracks in the plastic are fatal, loose nuts and bolts happen. Open the sail up and inspect for cracks in the clear sections and overall condition. Flip the boat over and inspect the bottom for scratches. These hulls are tough but it will show how the boat was treated. The ama clips in the main hull went through an update, ask about it but honestly the retrofit kit should be free at any dealer. It is not hard to do, lots of discussion about how to do it.
Personally I would be all over the '16. It has the improved hull shape, better seats and none of the newer mirage drive changes. Who needs a pull lever for reverse? Just put the drive in backwards.