Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I step my mast, the locking arm sits in place correctly and I can't lift the mast, it all seems to be perfect.

However in strong winds something happens to allow the mast to rise out of the holding cup about 30mm (1") or so. Apart from the scary idea that the mast might jump out completely (I am not sure it will, but it is still scary) when it comes to to reef or head into shore, the sail won't furl. Before furling either my fellow sailor or I have to go forward and seat the mast properly again.

A friend has a new TI and when feeling the edge of the locking arm it is nice and sharp where mine is a bit worn so I considered replacing it.

Then yesterday we happened to meet an AI owner and out of curiosity I checked the locking arm on his and it was so worn it was like a set of jagged teeth. He says his mast never budges, so now I am wondering if wear is the cause of my problem. Or is it that the AI sail being smaller doesn't cause the mast to have as much upward pressure, where on a TI is is more of an issue?

Before I replace the locking arm and find that isn't the solution, does anyone have any ideas about this?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found I am not the first to have this happen :(

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 5&p=337394