Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Higher Scupper Cart ?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The stock scupper cart with 30cm Wheeleze wheels is OK, but coming off of my rather-high trailer, the amas scrape the pavement before the cart fully engages in the scupper holes..... so I could use some extra height.

First thing that comes to mind is an extension sleeve over each of the stock cart's vertical tubes - but I do not know how that plays out stress-wise when the boat is flipped on it's side to insert/remove the cart. ... Sure would be a bummer to tear out the scupper sleeves on the hull....

Second thing that comes to mind is a DIY version of the scupper cart using bigger (42 or 49 cm) wheels. .... Dunno if that's any different stress-wise... but it offers the attraction of bigger wheels/easier rolling and the prospect of selling the existing stock cart.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:42 am 
Site Admin

I would not want a taller cart. You would cause excessive loads on the scuppers. Think "breaker bar" when using a wrench. Adds the ability to get significant torque.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
I would not want a taller cart. You would cause excessive loads on the scuppers. Think "breaker bar" when using a wrench. Adds the ability to get significant torque.
Case..... Closed...

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When not folded out the aka let the ama drop lower then the hull. I have successfully used a line between the two rear plastic eye on the ama, running over the rear of the hull, to stop the "droop".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
When not folded out the aka let the ama drop lower then the hull. I have successfully used a line between the two rear plastic eye on the ama, running over the rear of the hull, to stop the "droop".
On mine, one ama would hang down much further than the other.... and both would rub against the stock 30cm beach wheels/scupper cart.

My fix is a piece of tubing from a broken windsurfer boom: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 7688421346

I stash it in the paddle park on the starboard side of the cockpit when sailing.... where it doubles as an extra spar in case something breaks and needs jury-rigging.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do the same thing Bob, using the rope that is also used for the ama keep out lines I tie the ends of the amas together over the top of the hull fore and aft using the ama padeyes. Since I removed the big cradle cart from it's resting place at the rear of the trailer to reduce friction there is no cradle to corral the amas as they enter between the uprights for the upper deck on the trailer. It also helps keep them further off the ground when unloading. Now the boat slides on and off the pvc bunks like butter.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am going to work around the scupper/stress issue by "Rolling My Own". (no pun intended)

Basically a beach dolly using the stock Hobie cradles (which I already have) - riding atop my trailer.

This approach has been calling out to me since I was scoping out Wetas - which use a similar concept of piggybacking the beach dolly on the road trailer.

Here's the beginning of my breadboard layout using 2x4's: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 0696420834 (RightArrow to see complete loading sequence).

Currently obsessing over what to replace the 2x4s with.... Almost certainly some sort of rectantular steel tubing.... galvanized or stainless..... 1.25" or 1.5".

The main attractions being that it should be easier on the back due to the prospect of a balanced load and easier on/off the trailer due to reduced friction. ..... The 2x4's slide over those crossbars as smooth as butter and I expect steel to do the same.