Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We just took delivery of a 2014 TI, which we got at a good price on clearance (too impatient to wait for the 2015). We got the SUT-350-AIT with two TI cradles:

Image(fixed image)

All I have seen from Hobie says to store the kayak upside down on the rails to avoid distortion. Should I flip it over on the trailer to store, or is it OK as is?

Last edited by paces on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Paces,
That is my exact setup as well. I believe that storing it on the trailer in those cradles would be best as they cradle the boat in its natural shape.

I actually have to store mine on the front porch if our cabin (much to my wife's distaste) as I don't have a covered shelter for it yet. I have been storing it right side up but am now storing it upside down. I have to be careful of that because there are things that protrude that could get broken or overstressed (although the crossbars seem to take the load and protrude above everything else).

By the way, I originally had my doubts about that trailer but I love it now. It has made several 500+ mile trips since August at interstate speeds with no problems and it's light enough to use as a dolly.

Walter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your pic is not showing Paces, but my 4 1/2 year old TI has only ever been stored right side up, on the Hobie cradles on a trailer. I have added a bow and stern support. Zero hull deformation problems.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I asked Hobie about storage through their website, and they said that it will be fine on the trailer.

Lots of folks here seem to worry about distortion, but maybe that's because they are not using the Hobie/Trailex system......

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
Your pic is not showing Paces, but my 4 1/2 year old TI has only ever been stored right side up, on the Hobie cradles on a trailer. I have added a bow and stern support. Zero hull deformation problems.

Another try at posting the pic:

The trailer has a bow support. Should I make a simple stern support for storage?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all of the good discussion. Thought I'd post an update...

I sold my AI via Craigslist for $2200, with a couple of extras thrown in (I originally purchased it as a demo for $2000- pretty good resale value!). Bought a new 2013 TI on clearance for $4500. Picked up a Rhino Rack T-loader and hitch adapter for another $350.

I already have a Thule base rack and a Thule Slipstream, so was pretty familiar with the routine. If you are thinking of car-topping a TI solo, I would consider a T-loader as ESSENTIAL. I'm able to get the bow up onto the T-loader and then shove the whole boat up onto the rack, but it's a bear. Loading and unloading everything takes about 20 minutes on either end (including set-up and breakdown). I think for this season it's fine, but a trailer may be in store for next season. I think one of the biggest advantages would be to cut down the time and hassle and in setting up the boat each time.

Thanks again!