Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know Hobie makes the bags to store mirage drives, but I was wanting to do something cheaper than $104 for 2 bags. I want to put them in something, so they don't get beat up during travel and storage in the garage. What are some of you doing out there as options?

thanks
Ron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put plenty of lubrication on them and leave them lie on a piece of cardboard, both in the garage and in my 4-runner. I don't use a bag.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Canvas bags like one uses for big camping chairs work well. Fit the entire drive flippers first all the way to the neck below the pedals and just cinch it closed. Picked one out of the garbage and got one at a garage sale for $1. The canvas material is pretty strong and they both have carrying handles. Keeps the grease off the truck and protects the flippers well enough.

On the same note we have a pair of Carbon Fiber paddles and to protect those we found a padded cloth guitar case that zips closed at a yard sale for $5. Fits all 4 paddle half's and protects them from damage.

:lol:

Last edited by Yakaholic on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nor do I. I spray them with WD40 after each outing and hang them up in my shed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakaholic wrote:

On the same note we have a pair of Carbon Fiber paddles and to protect those we found a padded cloth guitar case that zips closed at a yard sale for $5. Fits all 4 paddle half's and protects them from damage.

:lol:

Thanks all for the different ideas. I am a guitar player, so I will check what extra bags I have. My concern is a vacation trip I am taking in June and I will have my truck packed full. No room to just lay them around.

I need to check out some yard sales! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At home here is my solution to all the horizontal surfaces already being taken. A short length of rope with a bowline at both ends and strung over a ceiling rafter. Lets them dry without draining onto every thing else. Have not come up with a good way to transport the drives yet, always worried something is going to be thrown on them and getting damaged.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased the Hobie bags during the Demo Days discount period when I purchased the boat. I have to say that although they are nice bags they are a little too small and it's a pain to get the drives into them. I'm either fighting with one end or the other of the drive to get it in the bag. A couple more inches of length would make all the difference. I would return them and use something else if I could.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is a wall bracket that I made for storing my Mirage drive. We have three Hobie kayaks, I need to make 2 more of these. This is the first one that I have completed.

Image20150607_085817

Image20150607_085845

I have made brackets to store the wheels as well:

Image20150607_085901

Image20150607_090001

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice job on the storage options for your kayak. I took Chekika's Option and have been spraying them down good/lubricating and placing them on some cardboard under the trailer. I am liking these other ideas though!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a i14t that I cart around in the back of a Ford escape. Would love to have something to put all my gear that doesn't fit in the yak storage bag. I'm thinking about an old military duffle. This should fit two mirage drives, couple of vests, rod holders, 12v pump, manual pump and other odds and ends. Just need more organization in the back. It's all just tossed in there right now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeeze, you guys are making me feel aweful with all these nice setups, care and attention.
We have a 2012 TI that we just store in the garage with everything just piled into the hull, all the mirage drives are on leashes and never removed from the boat, we just lay them in the hull along with all the Pfd's, seats, sail rigging, all three sails (main, jib, and spinnaker, all furled in their masts and laying on the hull with all the control lines still attached, and the normal junk we always take along (medical kits, flares,radios, night lights,etc all in dry bags). We pull in the driveway, rinse the boat, motors, and trailer off with the hose, release all the bungys, remove the front hatch cover then pull the trailer in the garage, takes all of two minutes. We have a ceiling fan in the garage ( because it's Florida), I just leave that on overnight. Monthly I spray WD40 on all the joints and chains on the mirage drives then throw them back in the hull on their leashes. To be honest we use our TI pretty much every weekend in mostly salt water, and I have no idea what my drives look like on the inside because in 8 yrs (many mirage drives) of using them I have never taken one apart, or had one fail on me besides slight rips in a couple fins, that we don't usually do anything about, just slide the fin off then back on, thats it.
Maybe we have just been lucky.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
We have a 2012 TI that we just store in the garage with everything just piled into the hull,

Pretty much what i do with mine. I put the drives, seats, hakas, etc in the bed of my truck for transport, when I get home I pile them on the TI then roll everything into the garage.

My Outback lives on a Yakima trailer with storage bin, the drive for it and all other gear goes in the bin. A bit handier, but I don't have room to put a bin on the TI trailer and still fit it in the garage.

fusioneng wrote:
I have no idea what my drives look like on the inside because in 8 yrs (many mirage drives) of using them I have never taken one apart, or had one fail on me besides slight rips in a couple fins, that we don't usually do anything about, just slide the fin off then back on, thats it.
Maybe we have just been lucky.

You're lucky, or I'm unlucky... :| I use my Outback quite a bit but I don't think I have abused it.* The drive it came with started getting extremely stiff, lots of resistance, about 8-9 months in. It never occurred to me that I needed to lube it. (Read the manual? What? :lol: ) I started lubing it and all was fine for a couple more months then the little ring with the setscrew that holds the idler pulley cracked. Took it to the kayak shop, they exchanged it. The second drive has been (more!) properly cared for and actually less used since I got the TI (been using one of the GT drives on the Outback much of the time) but now it's about a year old and I recently noticed the idler pulley itself has cracked! The shop gave me another pulley, I'll just swap it out when I get a chance, but still...!

* Well... Maybe a bit... I do recall playing "icebreaker" a few times last winter! :lol: One trip the ice was a couple inches thick!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drives are super easy to hang anywhere from those large rubber coated wall hooks.

I stopped spraying WD-40 over my driveway, and shop floors. It's unsafe and stains the concrete, changing its water absorbing quality, and can eat natural stone. Plants don't like it much too.

Those little WD-40 lube pens are great for targeting the chains and moving parts without whizzing all over your floors, walls and gear in your man cave.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We bought this bag from Wal-Mart on sale at around $30, and cut the piece of plastic out that separated the two compartments to make room for two Mirage drives with turbo fins.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Everest-36-Duffel-Burgundy/40135527

Works great, especially with the wheels and handle. It showing as "out-of-stock" at Wal-Mart though :(