Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This subject had been touched on somewhat, but I need more specifics, and I probably wasn't clear in my last post.....

I may get a trailer if need be (last resort), but I am trying to avoid that if possible.

For car topping a solo AI on my 2006 Xterra, I am strongly leaning on the Malone folding J-rack system with Telos load assist.

Are there any Xterra owners using this specific set up?

I noticed a few are doing it, but have you had any issues with it? I noted that the racks are rated at 75 lbs max and the AI is 100 lbs, as well as a little wider than the width recommended by Malone.

I am wanting to do some long road trips and I am worried about slippage, huge wind resistance while driving and loosening of rack fittings on Xterra factory cross bars.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have done a lot of car topping with our TI (similar boat), and I'm not recommending J-racks because of side wind on the highway with a bigger boat. If you have a hitch mount, I recommend you get one of those swing down T-bar hitch mounts. Even if you don't have a hitch on the car, aftermarket hitch recievers are cheap and easy to install. Most are rated to as much as 500 lbs and are much easier to get the boat on your roof by lifting only one end at a time. You swing the reciever down lift the bow onto it, then go to the back of the boat and lift while pushing forward, once the reciever is vertical you just slide the boat forward. Your never lifting more than 50 or so lbs. We have a couple hundred thousand miles of road time with kayaks on the roof, and they need to be pretty secure on the highway.
Do a search on this forum and you will see a ton of great ideas, but I don't recall seeing any using the J-racks on any of the bigger boats (apparently there must be a good reason).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using a Thule Slipstream to carry my AI on the roof of my Ford Focus. Should be fine with an XTerra. I'm in the process of selling my AI and upgrading to a TI, and I'll probably end up using a Rhino Rack T bar along with the Slipstream.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lboiv001 wrote:

For car topping a solo AI on my 2006 Xterra, I am strongly leaning on the Malone folding J-rack system with Telos load assist.

I noticed a few are doing it, but have you had any issues with it? I noted that the racks are rated at 75 lbs max and the AI is 100 lbs, as well as a little wider than the width recommended by Malone.

I am wanting to do some long road trips and I am worried about slippage, huge wind resistance while driving and loosening of rack fittings on Xterra factory cross bars.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Malone fold down J-racks and Telos load assist bars and had the same question. The setup works great with my Hobie Quest, but I have been told by both Malone and Hobie customer support that the AI is to heavy a craft for either the J-bars or Telos system. I have seen photos of a base Adventure being lifted on Telos bars, but with the extra weight it may risk denting the side panels of the vehicle. I also did experience a very strong cross wind that did manage to fold down the front J-bar once while driving! Luckily it was strapped in enough and I was able to stop and resecure the kayak. It is effectively a big sail up there standing sideways! I can only imagine the extra size of the Adventure would only make that more of a risk, especially with a narrow bar spread on a sedan. Shame because when I bought this gear I was hoping to be able to upgrade to an AI one day, but it is a much different animal than most kayaks. The hitch mount T-bar is probably the only practical solution, other than a trailer of course.