Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My trailer is kind of high and I'm falling out of love with crawling under the hull-halfway-off-the-trailer to insert the beach wheels into the scupper tubes.

Also, from Day-1 I was never even a little bit in love with the weight I have to lift when moving the AI on the scupper dolly - balance point and all that...

I am thinking in terms of a couple of slide-on "T" assemblies that would convert the scupper dolly into a bunk-based dolly that could be positioned to taste - i.e. at or near the balance point - and also ease the transition from trailer to beach wheels.

Here is a partial breadboard: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 6804600402

I am thinking that the problem comes with the long lever arm from the "T" joint to the wheels....so the "T" has to be a lot stronger than the non-structural nature of PVC allows.

First thing that comes to mind is running a router over a couple of sections of 2x4 or 2x2 and then figuring out what to slip over the scupper cart's uprights and join to the 2x4's with sufficient strength.

No hose-clamping to the scupper cart: I want these things to be easily removable.... probably just keep them in the bed of my pickup truck and slide them on when needed with the beach wheels stored as usual upside-down in the scupper tubes.

Can anybody suggest something that will not be excessively heavy ?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pete-- this is a source for www.formufit.com structural PVC-- different stuff than what Lowe's and the like carry which is designed for plumbing. I've used it for several projects and it is much stronger and stfiffer.

Hobie tramps- black

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bazinga wrote:
http://www.formufit.com
"Tinker Toys for Grown Ups."

I like it already!..... Thanks.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pete, I think you would be disappointed trying to use that kind of cart on an Island. I tried one of the DIY PVC carts on my Revo 13 and it was a pain trying to get and keep it secured to the boat. I ended up modifying it into a scupper cart for the Revo.
It might work better for an Island to use one of the short scupper cart cradles or a cut down conventional cradle on a welded frame that has provision to strap onto the boat in the same way the Hobie full size cradle cart is utilized. I may try building something like this. It would be easier to install/uninstall than a scupper cart and you wouldn't necessarily have to be in the water to do it. Plus it wouldn't be a cumbersome to take along on the boat as the full size cradle cart.
chris