Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The newly redesigned seats are much nicer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Tool 4X48 utility trailer (modified)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RobinNMaid wrote:
The newly redesigned seats are much nicer

So the seats in the 2016 are different from the 2015?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was also surprise about Robin's comment. I checked the 2016 seat in honors website and did not notice any difference to my 2015.

Robin , Can you please show us the difference. Picture would be nice. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is a vid of loading my TI onto the modified trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQuYbK30G8

And here is somebody else's vid of the seat changes for 2016 edition. It snaps onto the boat securely, but you can also take it off and use it on the beach etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo3Qk6kiE9s

/Robin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you saying that the 2015 seats don't do that?

Also, can I suggest you remove the mast AFTER you load onto the trailer, to avoid dunking the top of the mast in the water.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking at that video of the 2016 seat, I can't see any obvious differences from the 2015.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

having owned both 2015 and now 2016 TI, I can tell you the seat redesign makes a lot of difference to the user experience.

the new seat is considerably more comfortable than it's older counterpart, and that is a plus. On the other hand even in it's lowest configuration the ride is higher off the deck than the 2015, hence the c/g is different. The 2016 feels, um well ... a tad more tipsy when the gusts hit the sail beam on... much to the fear of the first mate, whose opinion matters most...

to put it in perspective, we managed to turn turtle in our 2015 on a very gusty news years day, probably 25mph gusts. I should have let go the sheet and furled or something when the down wind ama was totally submarining, but well I didn't catch it in time. (this is probably the reason I have routed furling line to the back so I have control on the new boat) We have non-mesh trampolines on the craft and with the ama buried on down wind side the windward trampoline became a sail and over we went.

She said at the time that on hitting the water (sans dry suit) that it was hard for her to catch her breath. We found out on a recent cardio exam that she may have sustained a mild heart attack, and that being the only experience that felt like it is the culprit event.

So needless to say, the skipper is now a much more cautious lad than he was in his carefree youth... (last year).

The TI is our main source of fun, and an excellent exercise vehicle. Unlike mountain biking ... there are no hills on a lake ;)

/Robin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to clear up any confusion Robin ...did your '15 have the same Vantage CT raised mesh seats as your '16?
It sounds like you are comparing the old style pre '15 seats that attached via a bayonet plug directly to the seat well and were made of nylon/ foam. They had no height adjustment.
The seat well was completely redesigned for the '15 models so the Vantage CT framed mesh seat would fit. The only difference, as far as I am aware, between a '15 and a '16 model are the improved seat retaining strap and the addition of XL pad eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Robin:
Watching the video of you loading your TI on your trailer looked absolutely painful, just sayin.

Most of us have switched over to PVC bunks now, way easier to get the boat on the trailer. ( those cradles scratch the crap out of your boat, if you live in a sandy area, and the boat is really hard to pull over them (thats that sqeeking noise in your video, (your TI getting scratched to smitherines (lol)) Since you already have the front cradle, just keep that in there, If it was me I would remove the rear cradle and replace with two 1 1/2dia PVC pipes (or whatever size pvc wooden broom handles fit inside easily), mounted on 11-12 inch centers. Have the pipes stick out behind the back of the trailer a foot or so, then mount a small roller to the back of the trailer in the center (I just used a 9 inch paint roller slid over some PVC pipe (the roller cost a dollar to make, the PVC pipes cost ten bucks. I takes about an hour to install everything. I went to harbor freight and got a cheap boat winch (the type with the one inch wide nylon strap (not the one with the steel cable), I think it was about $25 bucks. On mine I just replaced the cable with a 1" wide nylon cargo strap, came with a hook on the end)
My trailer is very similar to yours, what I do is back up to the waters edge (not in the water). I lift the boat up onto the roller in the back, ( the trailer automatically tilts, I only need to place my foot on it, most of the time I only need to lift the bow a couple inches at the most, in fresh water and steeper boat ramps I back in a little further and don't have to lift any thing at all, the back of the trailer dips under water with your foot on it), I already have the winch strap extended out so I can clip it to the bow. If you have a side wind the PVC pipes sticking out the back keep the boat aligned straight so you dont have to worry if the boat is straight or not. If you put bungies on yout trailer tilt mechanism, that becomes completely automatic, just place your foot on it when lifting the boat, it automatically tilts down so you only have to lift the boat a couple inches (just a suggestion). Don't worry about it if the boat drifts to one side or another, the PVC pipes sticking out the back align the boat for you automatically. I just leave my AMA's out and all my masts and sails in (keeps them from getting dunked (a bad thing).
I then just mozy up to the boat winch and crank the boat up onto the trailer (the boat doesn't have to be perfectly straight). It just doesn't matter how steep the boat ramp is. Once the boat is up on the trailer I then drive the car away from the water (not clamped down or anything, just held by the winch) into a clear area on level ground (of course watch for overhead power lines and trees. Most of the boat ramps around here have a water hose hookup so you can rinse the boat and engines off (you have to bring your own hose though). If the parking lot is bumpy I might put one strap on the boat quickly to keep the boat from tipping if it's windy (with the masts still up) but I usually don't bother).
I then just pull the car into an open level area and break the boat down, drop the masts, unhook the tramps and roll them up, then fold the AMA's in and strap everything down for road transport.
I built pretty heavy duty spray skirts from pretty heavy material so they don't get shreaded on the highway (I have shreaded 3-4 sets of spray skirts on the highway BTW), all my lines sails and rigging is trapped under the spray skirts that are wrapped and strapped over the bow (protecting everything from the road wind).
There are a ton of TI's around here, and some of the guys even have Cheap Harbor freight electric winches on their trailers (I think the cheap ones are under a hundred bucks). The trick with the electric winches is to get one that releases the spool so you can just pull the strap out instead of having to wait for the electric winch to pay out the line (electric winches are typically painfully slow).
It typically takes me about a minute at the ramp to launch or retrieve my TI. At a busy public ramp I usualy rig the boat in the parking lot in an open area, then back up to the launch (way easier because you can see your sail and AMA's in your rearview mirror. I keep one strap in place so the boat doesn't tip on the trailer.

On the bungy for your tilt mechanism, just get a couple 4 ft bungys clip then somehow to the outer edges of the trailer, in the center they run under the main frame of the trailer, just add as many bungys as it takes so it tilts down when you place your foot on it, but with enough force so the bow lifts up a little when you take your foot off.
BTW don't let go of the boat when launching because it self launches once you give it an initial shove and can drift away (guilty).
I've been running PVC cradles for 3-4 yrs now with no damage or deformation to the bottom of the boat, we store our TI in our hot Florida garage (it gets 130 degrees in there all year round during the day).
Actually I just did my annual inspection of my hull bottom yesterday (yea I only flip the boat and clean the bottom up just once a year), I'm happy to report there was no damage, so I cleaned the bottom up and sprayed on a new coat of rustolium neverwet, and I'm good to go for another year.
Hope this helps
FE
Edit: If you use neverwet its best to clean up the bottom with alcohol or heptane (heptane is rubber cement solvent, and it softens and melts polyethylene. I then put on a relly thin coat of Krylon plastic UV clear coat (the active ingredeant is heptane so it sticks nicely to polyethylene). If there are scratches in the hull the clear coat helps smooth them over. I then apply step one of neverwet (a thin coat) followed by a thin coat of step 2 (it takes about a half a can of each, so one can of step one and one of step 2 lasts for two tratments (2 yrs, I think the stuff was ten bucks). The stuff lasts about a year, but in high wear areas (like sand beaches) it scratches away eventually (who cares it's clear lol).

edit:

Here is a pic of the back of my TI, you can see the PVC pipes sticking out the back with the broom handles stuffed in (wood broom handles are really really strong when contained in PVC, and don't rot (BTW). Yould can also see my cheepo roller at the back of the trailer, it's just a cheap 9" wide paint roller slid over a piece of PVC pipe (I think it cost a buck, and 20 minutes to make (been on there 3 yrs now ( who knew it would last so long lol))). My trailer is flexible like yours, I just step on the back to tilt it down with my foot when loading.

Here is a pic of that Rustolium neverwet stuff I described (got it at Home Depot, I think it was about 15 bucks). I just just spray the boat bottom, rudder, and the props with it, it reduces water surface friction like 99%. Gotta love technology....

This is the stuff http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-N ... lsrc=aw.ds

Of course you can do as you please, I'm just describing some crap that seems to make my life (and my really bad back) a little easier for me (I'm pretty darn old and frey). We are on our third TI now over the last 6 yrs, and are out on new adventures with ours pretty much weekly and love every minute of it.

Last edited by fusioneng on Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks fusioneng, I lurked your comments a long time before we bought, and have always profited from your innovations and ideas.

Maybe post a video of your launch?

I'm happy with my setup but can always improve.

/ Robin

stringy, I'm not at all sure how to add a photo to this medium. Here is a facebook link to the 2015 seats we had. From the context it would appear that our 2015 had the older style seats.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 048%2C1536
vs
http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.p ... =960%2C720

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whi;le I cannot access your photos, it would appear that your old TI was an MY14, which you bought in 2015, prior to the issue of the much changed MY15, which came with raised and flattened flooring to accommodate the Vantage seat (mesh seat covering on a raised aluminium frame, with higher cut sail to increase headroom. The definitive determinant as to the model year of your older TI is... where the seats able to be removed and used independently of the hull, or were the seats able to lie flat?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I couldn't see your pics either Robyn.
Tony is right, which is why your comments on an improved seat for the '16 over the '15 created interest.
I'm guessing your earlier seat looked like this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Correct, no vertical adjustments, sat on the deck, not independently usable

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes you had a model year 2014 TI. Your new TI should have a reverse rake nose also.

Those old seats were responsible for a condition called sorebutt-itus after about an hour on the water without additional padding.