Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha,

I broke a mast and Kayaking Bob was kind enough to give me an old mast with the male mast receiver. He also gave me the the old mast cup (female) and aka bar to match the old locking system. When I went to replace the mast cup, I realized it would not fit into the 2012 hull, although the lip where it meets the top of the hull lines up as far as the screws/holes aligning. See attached image for reference.

Based on this post... viewtopic.php?f=75&t=39497

... I'm concluding that replacing the mast receiver to match my 2012 hull is not all that easy, and might not match the height I need anyway, and removing the mast receivers is a bear based on epoxy being added to the ones I have.

My conclusion is I should open up the hole where the mast cup goes into the hull to make the 2007 mast cup fit, but before I do, I'm seeing to find out from Matt Miller if the base of the mast cup will fit into the bottom of the hull where it meets that bolt? Any other reasons why this would be a bad idea, can it work? What's the best tool if so to make that hole larger?

Thanks!

Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's odd, I had a 2012 with a 2007 mast, akas, etc. Didn't notice anything special about the set up. I even replace the mast receiver at one point.
Hobie did it at the factory as part of a replacement.

Let me see if I can track down the pics, and the thread on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stevo, that would be a big help... I wonder what the difference is? Anyhoo, maybe since Hobie did this for you at the factory they cut the hole for your larger mast cup? I'll be off and running as soon as I can confirm cutting into this hull will bear fruit as far as the old mast cup working with the fittings at the bottom of the hull that receives it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It definitely fit, and you are right the hole was bigger. Does that cup have the little foot in front? (I'm assuming that part is already in the hole).

My boat had not only the 20)7 mast, but also 2007 akas, which I see you have so seems your set up is same as mine. The link you have there is from when the little foot cracked on my boat and I replaced the broken 2007 cup with a new 2007 cup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's the thread for when I broke the mast cup...not sure if it helps, but ....
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=49334

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:19 am 
Site Admin

If using V2 crossbars, the issue my be the height of the bearing plate. Not sure if that is different... then the locking system. The crossbar is partly held on center by attachment to the cup on the newer boats too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your help everyone... I think I have all the info I need. Yes, the old mast cup I have does have the foot on the bottom which will marry to the bolt and plastic fitting at the bottom of the hull. I also have the V1 crossbar and locking system to accompany the old mast cup, so I think once I cut the hole I should be good to go. I'll report back when I complete the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not very familiar with the old versus new mast cup set up, so this is just a thought... Would it be possible to change the male fitting on the bottom of the good mast to the female style of your broken mast? Aren't they just riveted/glued on? Or is the rest of the old style mast completely different? If it worked, you wouldn't have to change anything on the boat, just the mast bottoms.