Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So, yesterday I finally got home with my brand-new TI, unwrapped the plastic, and saw *gasp* a crack! It seems superficial, near the bailer device in the seat well. My dealer suggested to watch it and see if it develops further. Driving to any dealer from my location in central MS is a pain in the a**. Should I be worried about this? Should I proactively try to weld it myself? Or should I just watch and wait?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you must claim this by your dealer and not accept this
Don’t weld it yourself, it is a guaranty thing, iff you work on it your dealer can sau it is your fault

You payef good money for a new boat!
It meight be a pain to drive to your dealer again, but i would do that
Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Dutchman. Don't attempt repair yourself for defect/damage on a newly received kayak. It is the dealer and Hobie's problem. Do a thorough inspection inside and out and make sure there are no other issues. I have repaired several cracks on Hobie kayaks including below the waterline by plastic welding. That crack is repairable. But even if your dealer is capable and willing to repair it, and you still want it, you should ask for some money back due to the damage and repair. I would also want a warranty specifically on the crack repair.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree, this is very clearly a defective hull and you're fully entitled to a new one. If the hull is defective brand new, it may develop other cracks later on. Any crack that develops below the water line is serious. My hull is 8 years old and has no cracks, why should a brand-new hull have any?

Inform your Hobie dealer that you want to make a warranty claim asap. Settle for nothing less than a new boat or at least a new hull. Hobie can recycle the defective one.