Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Float bags? Worth doing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After watching the YouTube video where the guy left the back hatch on his PA14 open I got to wondering about something. The open hatch allowed enough water in to almost sink his kayak. It occurred to me that if he had been alone then re-entry and bailing might not have worked. So here's my question: has anyone put float bags in the empty spaces in their yak hull. Seems to me it would limit the amount of water that could enter the empty spaces. Specifically I'm wondering if it make the kayak float high enough that you could do a deep water re-entry and be still be floating high enough to bail effectively.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie has been installing foam blocks, for the last few years in order to meet USCG regs......the blocks will float the kayak to allow bailing.
Another thing you can do, to gain more flotation, is to stuff pool noodles inside the hull as long as they do not interfere with the rudder lines.

I added pool noodles to my first Hobie, a 2010 Outback that was made before positive flotation was mandatory.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'll check my PA 14 for foam blocks... glad to hear it is not a crazy idea. I had an 18' sea kayak and had to a deep water reentry. Float bags made the difference. Given that I'll be using about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time in salt water, I'm also going to install a step style rope/strap on the side to aid in righting the yak in case of a capsize.

On a side note, I spent many years chasing steelies in Michigan and other parts of the Great Lakes with a fly rod. Lots of good memories. Developed a fondness for spey rods thru it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We put 4 large pool noodles in each of our yaks (non Hobie) meant years ago. Thankfully, we haven't needed them.

I just acquired a used PA14 (2017?) and haven't given it the treatment. I'll have to check for foam in the hull.

I used to think my WS Tarpon 160i was heavy to load. Seems like a cakewalk now. :D

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just acquired an adventure/revolution 16 2010 model and it has no flotation that I could see.
I definitely want to get float bags but want to make sure they fit.
I heard the pool noodle thing and will do that later if these don't work out.
What I don't know is the size and no one at REI knows either.
Any knowledgeable folks out there?

https://www.rei.com/b/nrs/c/kayak-flota ... on&r=b%3Bc

I'm not married to any one particular manufacturer but I am engaged to the concept.
Here's a youtube video with an extensive discussion of airbags albeit in a skin on frame environment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQlRL4iq8Co

I will be in big bodies of water like Great Sacandaga lake at the southern end of Adirondacks and western side of Chesapeake bay.

You can get into a lot of trouble very quickly in a very short period of time with little to no warning.
This happened in the very body of water I've been using since the 60's.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nation ... story.html

Advice?

Thanks in Advance.

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie 16 doesnt have a lot of space under the tank well via the rear so best packing with pool noodles. Keep in mind with the 16 in particular center hatch is close to water level. So even if floating you may not be able to use center hatch to pump out water asit could be below water level, especially if rough condition.

Dot forget OEM is to float a bare hull if you have a ton of gear on it then it will weight substantially more.

The Hobie foam is also placed to add extra bracing under the seat location

To be honest for a sit on top kayak with enclosed hull space noodles are easiest option. Float bags, especially with anchor points are best for sit is so they stay in place. Doesn't matter the same in a sit on top hull. Noodles cant deflate either

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with waveriders comments about pool noodles as they are the same reason I used them in my old 2010 Outback Vs float air bags.

Pool noodles can be stuffed where you like and the won't deflate by a puncture.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Much appreciated folks!!!
It'll be mostly light tackle striper fishing in the bay or pleasure cruising.