Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i I have a Ford F250 with 6.5 foot box and cap. Any one put a roof rack on a cap ? Wiil it hold the weight. PA12.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The basic answer is yes....but, I would contact the cap manufacturer to see what they rate the load for and the style/design of the roof rack......the size of the rack foot print, location and internal backing materials are key parameters of load capacity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I will check into it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The cap will easily take the weight. The rack is the weak link and both Yakima and Thule rate their racks at 165 lbs. maximum load. I mounted a rack on my cap for a couple of Revo 13's and added a Thule Hullavator that weighs by itself 40 lbs. I decided to stay with the Hullavator but only on one side of the truck and stay with standard saddles for the other side.

The rack on my truck is 7 feet off the ground and this is where the Hullavator or something like it helps a great deal. difficult to handle a heavy kayak while standing on a step ladder. Lots of options to make loading easier that are available from Thule, Yakima, and other companies though most assume the vehicle's roof is at the height of a passenger car.

I ended up also getting a kayak trailer so when a trailer is not going to be a problem where I plan to launch this is my first choice. If a trailer is not practical then I go with the roof rack on the cap.

Check the required length cross bars needed with whatever loading device you use as some require extra long cross bars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

i've got the Yakima roller bar that pulls out past the back of the vehicle. I get the nose up on there and roll into thye saddles. Truck is higher than the van I had. Need a step ,ladder to go all around to tie it down. Only need this for the long haul when pulling my travrl trailer.