Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would like to mount a Torqeedo Ultralight 403 Electric Trolling Motor - 1 HP to the back of my 2015 Hobie PA-14.

Pricey..... I know. I want to be able to use the mirage drive up front and have the electric on the stern. My plan use the rudder on the Hobie for steering.

Anyone out there using this setup? I would appreciate your feedback. Interested in some actual run times from someone who is using one and dependability. Any issues?

Seems like a great lightweight unit.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a well worn subject and you will find a lot of useful info if you search this forum.
I have a Torqeedo mounted on the rear and am very pleased with it. I would offer just a couple of thoughts.
1. You will not be able to get back into the boat from the rear so you should think about and practice a side reentry. This requires keeping one side clear for reentry.
2. It steers OK with the Torqeedo pegged straight and using the rudder. It will steer better with the lines hooked into the Hobie steering disc. Either way it is hands on steering.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have it set up and you will absolutely love it, especially if you rig lines to the steering drum. It will turn on a dime. Pricey but worth every penny. Pm me with your phone # if you want to talk

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OT, thanks for the feedback. I try to remember to use the search engine more often.

MM, PM sent. Looking forward to speaking with ya.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

very interesting any pictures?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

will you pick the Torpedo Ultralight 403 over the Hobie Evolve Torqeedo Motor Kit i-Series v2

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think everything is the same excet where its mounted between the Evolve and the 403

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would Definitely pick the Torqeedo over the Evolve for the PA. The Evolve is only mounted in the Mirage well and not the back. This means you cannot use the Mirage Drive and the engine at the same time. The Torqeedo is rear mounted. When it attached to the steering drum, you turn the rudder and the engine with the same control. It turns on a dime. You can raise the engine and just use the Mirage Drive, use just the engine or use the engine and the Mirage Drive at the same time. Also, the Torqeedo is less expensive.

Think about what could happen if you hit an oyster or sand bar a mile from shore at full speed if you have an Evolve in the Mirage well. With a Torqeedo on the back it just kicks up.

Unfortunately Hobie has left the PA user without a rear engine mount like they have on the Revo and the Outback. They elected to leave it up to the PA owner to come up with their own way to develop a rear mount and have lost out on some good business because most of the people I know around the world have rear mounted Torqeedos. Several that I know sold the Evolve and bought the Torqeedo when they saw ours.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does this just fit on a 1.5" ram type of ball? I see the ball in the mount, but can't tell for sure. Could one of the ram balls be mounted to the rear of a PA on the H rail that would allow the motor to mount or would that cause too much stress on the H rail?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[url][url][URL=http://s1004.photobucket.com/user/anthony5675/media/Copyof100_0150_zps4e03c5ab.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url][/url]

Memory Maker Helped me set mine up. Works great.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

........ You could try it but I don't think it would work because of all of the stresses. The ball mount is heavy duty and I recommend using a backer plate to reduce stress on the hull. The bar is supported to reduce leverage. The Torqeedo mount system is very simple but well engineered. I went thru a year of trying different stuff before the lightbulb went off and I developed this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Rick, thanks again for all the help. Really appreciated you speaking with me. You were a wealth of info. I'll be in touch.

Bassmann, like the photo. Looks like I'll be ordering a Torqueedo.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is how mounted mine and linked everything up for quick disconnect and mounting. Take note on where the steering lines are mounted on the motor wing plate and the cutouts on the steering drum cover.
This allows the motor to turn at the exact same rate of degree as the rudder which makes for better turning and more precise steering.
With the lines on the outside holes of the wing plate (yes i know its upside down. It is that way on purpose) the motor will not turn nearly as much as the rudder.
If you do not do the cutouts on the steering drum cover...same problem. The way i cut the steering drum cover the lines follow the cutouts around the outside, top and bottom edge and never rub against the cover wearing the line out. To release the steering lines just tilt the motor up and remove the clips from the key rings.
Also the reverse line is clipped on to the bungee on the bottom (green clip) to keep the rope from falling down in to the prop in the event it gets to much slack back there...and the Harken carbo cam (not yet mounted) to lock the line down for reverse or lock it in the raised position.
Motor support mounted on grab bar makes for a rock solid mount. No dancing around.
You can set your trim angle back to neutral by opening up the the motors swivel bracket and adding a rubber stop inside. This also eliminates the metal to metal stop inside the swivel bracket and makes it very soft and quiet when dropping the motor from a raised position. You will want to use a dense rubber for that. Soft will not work. It will compress to much.
Hope this helps...

Last edited by Yak9107 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:15 am, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Notice the mounting tube is not level as per instructions.
The reason they tell you to mount it level is because the stop in the swivel bracket is fixed at 90*. With the mounting tube at an angle it gives a very negative trim angle. Just stack a rubber stop on top of the fixed stop.in the swivel bracket and as you can see you get a perfectly neutral trim angle and a lot quieter softer operation with it...

Side note...there are many advantages going with the 403 instead of the evolve. Some have been listed already others have not. You can run in much shallower water with the 403 as its not sticking out the bottom lowest level of the boat. You can control trim angle , prop shaft depth. Its more than likely much quieter sense its insulated with rubber mounts...the list of advantages goes on and on not to mention the price..like $500 cheaper . $500 Dolla is $500 Dolla ... :wink:

Last edited by Yak9107 on Thu May 14, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yak9107, you have been most helpful. The pictures realy help demonstrate how to handle some of the installation issues. You guys have all been outstanding, thank you all for responding to the my post.

Very appreciative.

Now I have to find some time and get one ordered. Life has a way of getting in the way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next