Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I feel silly for asking this. So far I have put the proAngler on its side to remove the cart.
So, I have the side of it all scratched up and I think once I actually load it with gear this will be a problem.

What is the right technique for putting the proAngler on the cart when leaving the water and taking it off before going in?

thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could take it out and put it in, on the water. Depends on your conditions and physical capabilities. I like this method the best for keeping the kayak clean and less wear and tear from dragging across the rocks, let alone less physically challenging. I take it your using the heavy duty cart, which should more than enough handle your PA and equipment.

Note: The cart does float.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tie a rope to the cart then stand on the rope while lifting kayak. Move to the side then set kayak down.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have seen guys use a stand that sits under rear handle whilst putting wheels in. About to start build a light weight one for mine when it arrives.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I pull my Prangler down to the water and then simply lift the rear handle enough to allow the cart to drop out. It rolls down to me or to the water, nicely out of the way.

Getting the cart back in is harder. I first unload anything loose. Then carefully roll the Prangler up on one side and slip the cart in. Rolling it on its side can be tricky on an algae-slick ramp or mud. It's easy to have the 'yak slide sideways instead of rolling, and that can scratch the finish. A scrap of carpet or plywood can help.

But I reason that the only time the boat was pristine was the moment in came out of the mould. After that, it's used - and will look like it. Ya wanna look like an angler, or like somebody who never uses his boat?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I haven't made one yet, but this seems the way to go to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjXKqLwPcc&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is the stand idea I was thinking of reworking to make it less bulky and with out the rod holders .Ideally I would like it to sit around the rear cargo deck with out taking up space inside or very quickly be assembled.
I also would like to try and make it safe and reliable to use on a moderately steep boat ramp I use on occasion .
Normally I am from the "Avoiding boat ramps are the reason I kayak school" but this one is just to convenient to one of my favourite spots .

Well done Sir a neat idea indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfLFR32KCw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have a reece hitch lift so put the wheels in before i completely take it of the roof of the car and the rear rests on the skids then load up my yak and cart it to the water once in the water i remove the wheels and do the same in reverse when i pack up as i want to protect my investment.

hope it helps

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brendon wrote:
Well done Sir a neat idea indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfLFR32KCw

Age create necessity.
necessity is the mother of invention.
If I put a rear rod rack on the hobie that guy certainly has the answer for onshore loading.

thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SteveLIBS wrote:
I haven't made one yet, but this seems the way to go to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjXKqLwPcc&feature=youtu.be

I saw that one but was not a fan since the car is bulky.

Maybe I just need to get wet to put it on....for taking it off I am thinking of using a stick to poke it out the bottom. Will have to wait for warmer weather.