Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my 1st post on the Hobie board, thanks for having me!

I am considering the purchase of a PA 17t for me and my family. I had originally planned on buying a PA 14 for just myself, but I have twin 10yr old daughters who would love to go fishing with Daddy, and that would be quality time that I would cherish, so I have shifted my focus to the 17t.

My question is: Has anyone had the opportunity to fish or take a test run in the 17t solo?

I am a big guy, 6'1" 215lbs, so the size doesn't necessarily scare me, but I do want a boat that I can take bass fishing & inshore for bull reds & speckled trout...

Thank you in advance for any advice, thoughts, and answers! :D

KJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome. I am also fairly new to these forums. Kind of lurked for a while before pulling the trigger on the PA 14 back in April. Personally speaking as an actual big guy at 6'6" and 250 lbs, I love it.

I don't have any first hand experience with the PA17T, YouTube does have some pretty good videos.

Ty and his wife taking a test drive in Mariner Sails in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxFlt7LdpoI&list=UU-GYgDzN7KzNPCTqEhq5qaw

PA17T Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYU66xwLsvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw1VE46N3Ts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Kansas Yaker... Those are some good vids! :mrgreen: It appears that it is easily moved as a single with the mirage drive, and that was my biggest concern.

And yes, you are an "actual big guy," hell I am probably just average in Texas!

I am going to rig my 17t w/a Power-Pole Micro, and when the trolling motor mount becomes available I will be adding a Minn Kota... I have already purchased a Lowrance Elite-5 HDI, and will be putting a deposit down on the PA 17t with Austin Canoe & Kayak this next week. This boat is definitely a budget buster, but the amount of use and memorable moments that will be made are going to be worth every piece of paper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking at the seating configurations, if you were to run it in single seat mode, and then purchase an additional seat, you could get all three of you on the water. I have twins as well, and this would have been a great alternative a couple of years ago. My father-in-law and I each have Oasis' to get the twins out on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good luck Horned Frog. Truth be told, I am originally from Texas so yes you are just average LOL. When I was doing my research, the PA17 wasn't even an option. Heck I didn't think a kayak would be an option for a man of my tall stature, but then after watching 100's of videos on Youtube I was convinced.

I ordered mine from Austin Kayak site unseen since the nearest dealer to me in Kansas was a 5 hour drive away. It was the best investment I have ever made. I was quite a bit of money but the countless hours of enjoyment is priceless. I've probably had it out at least 50 times this year and have caught everything from 26" walleyes, 28" hybrids and a 25 lb catfish. Not too bad for the 120 acre lake I fish on here.

I'd like to hear how thee trolling motor mount works out when you get it. I actually bought a trolling motor but have yet to use it. Here in Kansas, once you go off of man power, you have to register it with the state and get a hull id and I haven't taken that leap yet.

I looked on Harbor Freight for the same trailer I bought and it looks like they have increased the price to $449 but you can still get 25% off of that price with the coupon. To me the trailer is also priceless because I have a bad back requiring several epidural shots at the beginning year, so it saves me some wear.

Again, good luck and keep us posted on your adventures.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Adam,

That is a good idea... It does look as though there is a position for all three seats. I was thinking about putting a cooler between the 2 seats and anchoring it down with some shock cord, that would also make a good seat for a 3rd or 4th!

Thanks,
KJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hornedfrog21 wrote:
Adam,

That is a good idea... It does look as though there is a position for all three seats. I was thinking about putting a cooler between the 2 seats and anchoring it down with some shock cord, that would also make a good seat for a 3rd or 4th!

Thanks,
KJ

I believe you are correct about being able to have three seats onboard but in that config, I believe that only the rear seat person would be able to peddle. In my opinion, I think a much better alternative would be to add a cooler with a padded seat on to add a marine bean bag chair. The hobie seats are great but $500.00 for a third seat is a steep price.