Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quad Torqeedo on PA17t
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't be the first one to think of wiring 4 torqeedos onto the pa17? I am really interested in seeing what it would do, has anyone done it? I mean Hobie has to have a few laying around. haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just put a Torqeedo cruise on it .......... Or. 1003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

revolvelutions wrote:
I can't be the first one to think of wiring 4 torqeedos onto the pa17? I am really interested in seeing what it would do, has anyone done it? I mean Hobie has to have a few laying around. haha

If you have four of the same Torqeedo's turning the same rpm with the same prop pitch you aren't going to do much more with 4 than you will with 1....Anything over 2 would certainly be a waste of money...now if you could purchase more pitch..a different story...but you can't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What i would like to see is someone to adapt a 1003 motor to the 403 ball, mounting tube and leg assembly. THAT would be cool !

http://www.torqeedo.com/en/products/out ... 42-00.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone know what the top speed of the hobies would be with our without motors? I understand that at 6 MPH the hobie starts to take on water through the scupper holes and will start to fill the inside of the hull, not the internal hull but the sit on top part. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for a reply.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure but i think Tom ? has a video on the tube where he is doing 6+mph and it doesn't seem to be filling with water. If that is the case then some scupper plugs would probably eliminate the problem...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have a PA but I do have a TI, we have pretty massive sails and twin big outboards on ours. Without the mirage plug in the mirage drive openings throw up a lot of water. At around ten mph the rear seat area fills with water, at 15 mph it's a massive flood on the rear passenger, and at 20 mph it's pretty much a 4 inch fire hose at their face. With the mirage drives in and bungied against the hull, the mirage fins flutter quite a bit at anything over 12 mph (likely causing damage), however if you keep pedaling they hold up just fine even at 15 mph, however over that the pedals become very difficult to pedal so it's best to remove all the mirage drives and put the plugs in (you can't go fast without the plugs in). However I don't think the boat is designed to withstand those loads especially in rough 2-3 ft offshore chop. The entire boat flexes and bends more than you can possibly imagine and the ride is really rough and wet (imagine a 20ft powerboat running thru rough chop at 40 mph (the TI is way worse at 20, (bone jarring)) and way wetter. My absolute max speed is 20 mph with sails and motors running, anything over that speed with the props in the water the motors over rev and explode (I have exploded several now).
Another problem is unless you convert the hull to a planing hull, the pointed stern of the boat goes completely underwater at around 12 mph creating massive drag, so in my estimation a stock TI hull is good to around 12 mph before horsepower requirements start going up exponentially. Obviously giant sails create horsepower, I figured it out once that in order to get the boat up to 20 mph my sails had to generate close to 45 horsepower, that's a lot of strain on everything that the boat is not designed for. My twin 2.5 hp outboards with no sails easily propel the boat up to 12 mph at WOT ( I have custom made high performance propellers). At that speed you have to overcome the displacement with raw horsepower, bottom line if you want to go faster get a different boat...
Just a guess off the top of my head is the PA 17 with twin 2.3 hp Hondas will do about 6-7 mph with the stock props, and around 10 mph with modified high pitch custom props. With a single Honda 2.3 it will top out a round 5-6 mph (higher pitch props wouldn't be an option with a single (not enough horsepower)). A waste of time adding the second motor because on a small lightweight boat max speed is determined by the prop pitch and rpm.
Same applies with Torqeedos 1003's, one should get you to max RPM and speed, adding a second won't propel such a small boat any faster. However if you planning to use the 1 hp evolves, thats a different story, an evolve will propel a revo 13 just fine to max rpm (I'm guessing around 5 mph). A big ole PA 17 1 hp is probably not enough to propel the boat up to 5 mph, however twin evolves probably would.

Actually the power consumption math is very easy, at WOT with one evolve lets assume on a PA 17 you get 15 minutes of run time at 3.5mph. Adding a second evolve (with it's own battery) still gives you 15 minutes of WOT run time, however instead of 3.5 mph the boat now travels 6 mph, you get to go further, not quite double the distance but close (keep in mind you are now drawing from two batteries instead of one (double the power consumption), you can't escape the math. This was only an example, I have no idea what the actual power consumption and speed of an evolve on a PA would be, but the math is the same.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I get up to 6 mph on my fully loaded PA 14 which is around 500 lbs with my fat body in it for much more than 15 minutes .......... More like over an hour. Also ........ Adding another 403 ultra lite will not double the speed ....... Not even close

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Memory Maker wrote:
I get up to 6 mph on my fully loaded PA 14 which is around 500 lbs with my fat body in it for much more than 15 minutes .......... More like over an hour. Also ........ Adding another 403 ultra lite will not double the speed ....... Not even close

....^^^^^ This ! Might improve hole shot but for top speed you wont gain much at all. Your props will be a little more efficient but will still be the same pitch at the same rpm on top .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When hull design flattens the power vs velocity curve, consider taking the hull out of the water. See http://www.keystonekayaks.com/new_kayak_019.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mounting opposing motors would let you turn on a dime though! Think tank tracks, on in forward, one in reverse..