Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had it in the water about 5 times since I bought it on the 21st of March. The stability, the layout, the storage....I couldn't be any more happy with it.

However, I do have a couple questions.

After being on the water for 3-5 hours at a time and spraying it off thoroughly when I get it home, I'm finding a little bit of water in the hull. Not much at all, but I was curios if this was normal or not? Is there any known areas where water can get in? Hatches? Horizontal rod tubes? I'm fishing on lakes in calm water, so I'm not taking water over the bow and I'm not taking in water through the scuppers.

After getting it home this afternoon, I noticed I had a little water in the hull so I wiped it down with a rag and open the storage compartment on the bow and the square hatch that houses the tackle management system. When i opened it up I noticed that 2"x2" area on the bottom of the interior hull looked deformed. I instantly turned my pro angler on its side and found that the bottom of the hull(outside/bottom) was fine. Is this just a characteristic of the rotomolding process?

Thanks for a great forum guys!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here are a few pictures of the spot on the interior hull that I mentioned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, that is "normal" from rotomolding. The factory will quite often grind down a higher "puddle of plastic".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First Hobie or first kayak? I have found that if there is a will there is a way for water to get inside...of any kayak. Every time I come off the water I find a tiny bit in the hull of my PA, same was true of my Jackson Cuda. Not to be all scientific, but the property of water as far as adhesion and capillary action mean that even the smallest opening can not only let water in, but draw it in like a straw. But if you really want to see water in the hull, leave the drain plug or plugs out accidentally. Did that once, and only once in my Cuda. After being out all day I had to have taken on 10 gallons......which is like 85 pounds of weight.

BTW: That is a nice picture of your kayak. Like the lighting and reflections...camera phone or real camera?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak wrote:
First Hobie or first kayak? I have found that if there is a will there is a way for water to get inside...of any kayak. Every time I come off the water I find a tiny bit in the hull of my PA, same was true of my Jackson Cuda. Not to be all scientific, but the property of water as far as adhesion and capillary action mean that even the smallest opening can not only let water in, but draw it in like a straw. But if you really want to see water in the hull, leave the drain plug or plugs out accidentally. Did that once, and only once in my Cuda. After being out all day I had to have taken on 10 gallons......which is like 85 pounds of weight.

BTW: That is a nice picture of your kayak. Like the lighting and reflections...camera phone or real camera?

iPhone6+. And thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine is bone dry every trip. That said, i took my rod tubes out when new and filled them with water. They were leaking bad on the end caps so i silicone around the seams and reinstalled and carefully ran a bead around the face plate. The cutouts there are sloppy and the gaskets used there leave a lot to be desired and barely make contact if any..especially around the bottom... Zero water gets in now. That said it could be a gasket around one of the hatches.
That spot is where they inject the mold and they grind the booger it leaves off. Yours looks A+ compared to mine. They almost went all the way through on mine and i had to thicken it back up right there. I doubt it leaking there but its possible perhaps...