Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve just purchased my landing gear with the LG pro kit for my PA 2016, but noticed that when I was trying to install it that the spacers don’t lift the H-rail enough to place the bracket underneath. How many spacers should I use per side. I’ve used up to 3 spacers and it’s still a very tight fit. With the spacers, it causes the H-Rail to bend a little too much for my liking. Also, since I placed the spacers on the stern, do I also have to raise them in the bow? And am I needing to raise the rudder controls also? Just wanting to make sure that the bending of the H-rails is normal?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The single spacers worked fine on my 2017. If in doubt, contact Boonedox. They are quick to respond, although I don't always like what they have to say...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just installed my LG on a 2016 PA 12. Talk about a pain to install. One of the holes didn't line up 100% and that made it impossible to thread the bolt in. But once installed its worked like a charm. I used 2 spacers in the installation. When I first placed the bracket down, the space needed 3 spacers, as I tightened the bracket down, all I ended up needing was two spacers and the original bolt worked fine. One question I have is when you all put the wheels down, do they rub the side of the hull while rolling the kayak? I noticed that I have to place them a certain distance or they will rub, making it harder to pull. Anyone else run into this? I am just thinking of making a mark on the pipe so I know how far I should push the wheels in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Installed the LG, and it was a pain to install but got it done. I have a 2016 PA 12 and I used 2 spacers and used the original bolt, just in case anyone is curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

To be clear. This is not recommended by Hobie and damages would not be covered by Hobie warranty.

The lever arm loads from the long wheel legs are substantial. The mounts do not spread the loads fore and aft. I suspect significant issues if you run into anything but smooth hard ground surfaces. Rocks and softer sand (let alone a curb or step) will force the arms aft. This would place SIGNIFICANT loads on attachment points and the wheel arms themselves.

We had this idea years ago and discarded it due to obvious issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bigme100 wrote:
Just installed my LG on a 2016 PA 12. Talk about a pain to install. One of the holes didn't line up 100% and that made it impossible to thread the bolt in. One question I have is when you all put the wheels down, do they rub the side of the hull while rolling the kayak? I noticed that I have to place them a certain distance or they will rub, making it harder to pull. Anyone else run into this? I am just thinking of making a mark on the pipe so I know how far I should push the wheels in.

I had similar experience, one side holes lined up, other side fist bolt went in easy, second didn't line up, after 30 minutes or longer trying to get last bolt to catch, finally went to Lowes and bought a longer bolt. I loosened up first bolt to give me more wiggle room then put in new longer bolt and it caught immediately.

Wheels do not rub for me, I make sure of it before carting.

Also, I do check my bolts because I found they will loosen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just a heads-up, if the wheels are rubbing the hull you probably need to swap sides with the wheels. This happened to me, and I wasn't aware of it until I saw it on youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

riverfish wrote:
Just a heads-up, if the wheels are rubbing the hull you probably need to swap sides with the wheels. This happened to me, and I wasn't aware of it until I saw it on youtube.

Good point, I marked one wheel as right side so I know where it goes every time...