Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thinking about getting an Evolve for my 2016 PA14. Any thoughts other than that ridiculous price tag. I originally was going to get a sail, just looking to get out farther and get back quicker as I tend to go out for 10-12 hours a few times a week. I never really considered it before because I didn't really like the idea of motoring a kayak or having to bring a big heavy battery. But after a little research I was surprised how light and compact every thing in the kit was. It would only add about 20lbs and I wouldn't have to contend with a long rolled up sail getting in my way. Plus I was surprised how far you could go on it. Full throttle for an hour gets you 5 miles! That being said. What's ur guys thoughts? Pros cons ect.

Tight Lines!!

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Evove on my 2013 Pa and love the thing just not the price. I troll a lot usually around 2.5 mph and the range I can go is between 15 and 20 miles. The farther you boost the speed the faster it will consume the battery. I'm very satisfied with the performance and the light weight it adds to the PA. If it was to break down today I would order another one without hesitating. Been running it 3 years now with no problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That price though ImageImage

St. Clair Flatts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the price is what stops so many people from getting one ultimately. $1500 would be a lot more reasonable and I'm sure they would sell more. Thats why so many people end up DIY or buying the sail kit. I didn't even research it beyond the price for a long time but I didn't realize how light and compact it was. Image Hmmm. Still thinking about it. Image

St. Clair Flatts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Same here SLizard. I continue to look for alternative because of the fact that adding expensive motor to my yak could affect my fishing concentration - motor hitting rocks in shallow water and tangling with fishing lines when trolling. Price is half the prize of the PA.
But just like what you said, I'm also like you not completely abandoning the thoughts of getting one because I like the small footprint. If motor breaks after warranty period and repair prize is too much , I can simply Just throw the motor and just reuse the Torqeedo mounting hardware, attach my existing minnkota TM and buy lithium battery for 300.00 and wireless PWM for 100.00 to control the rear TM. I'm thinking about the Torqeedo ultralight 403 though and not the evolve.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another and cheaper solution that every one likes is the Torqeedo 403 mounted on the back. You have to install it that takes 1-2 hours and is simple ......... Allows you to use the mirage drive at the same time ........ Put on and take off in a minute with 1 screw ........... Kicks up if you hit something .......... Better steering ........ Don't have to align the prop to take it out when landing which is a pia in current or waves .......... Can use the steering knob to control the rudder and engine too turn on a dime. Etc.

This is in addition to all the benefits of the Evolve/Torqeedo.

The Evolve on the PA is a good solution the doesn't require installation and many people like a lot .......... Not knocking the Evolve ........ Just offering an alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been using my Evolve motor since Feb 2013. I use it as designed in the Mirage Drive well. It has become almost indispensable when I fish in the Intracoastal waterway to get me to the saltwater marsh or creek "hot spots" we all discover over time. Once there, I put in the MD so that I can fish in "stealth mode". Decisions about how far to go & waiting for a day with the right tides to take me there & back are over, since I can pop in the Evolve & overcome the tide & wind effects, so I love it that it allows me so much more flexibility.

I've found that by watching & controlling the wattage being used, I can control how much of the battery power is being consumed so that I can plan my whole day. (I'm usually out 4-8 hours.)

I did have some warranty issues in the beginning...battery overcurrent & spurious error codes on the readout....but Torqeedo fixed free of charge within the first 2 years. These were caused by an incorrectly installed o-ring between the prop & motor housing that caused a shorted motor & a bad electronic component on the battery board.

I have found that it becomes routine to watch depth so you don't ding the prop or worse. It's a big issue if you are traveling at any speed & run into an oyster bar or submerged sandbar or other hazard.

A fishing buddy had his motor shorted as a result of mono fishing line wrapped around his prop damaging the o-ring seal, but I have heard on these forums that Torqeedo has designed a fix to prevent this on the newer versions of the Evolve.

I have adapted my use of the Evolve to suit my fishing territory & if you read through these forums, you will see how others have adapted their's so you have a lot of options to match your style or territory.

So in my application, well worth the price for "living the dream".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bump :mrgreen:

St. Clair Flatts

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Go with the 403 . Places it in the back and out of the way, runs shallower, cheaper, as said earlier tilts up when you hit something ( and i have hit stumps quite a few times already). There is a whole lot to be said for having in the back and out of the way. A must in my opinion..not to mention the price. You can almost purchase a spare battery for the price difference...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Im not interested in the 403. Aestgetically it is awful.I know the Evolve is a lot more but after the price of the PA, I wouldn't want to ugly it up. Plus I'd rather have the prop easily accessible for weed/line tangles and such.

So much nicer

St. Clair Flatts

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like a PITA to me. No steer,no tilt, in the way with a trip cord, manual in and out. Loss of place to set something down like your hatch bucket , minnow bucket, bait containers etc without a high center. Loss of space in front hatch and it sure isn't as purdy or functional or clean as my 403..but hey, to each his own... 8)

https://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtop ... 78&t=56419