Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler cover
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings everyone.
I recently bought the pro angler and I need some advice/help. If I use the pro angler cover for my kayak, do I need to put it inside my garage? Can I have my kayak with the cover outside the house?

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler cover
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same question a couple of months ago. The Hobie Pro Angler cover is water resistant, not water proof. It will keep debris and other items out of the kayak, and will keep the sun from fading/affecting the PVC hull. A lot of people pointed out that it is a kayak, so why do I care if it gets wet, and that is a good point. My reasoning was that I wanted to leave my PA outside, but fully rigged for fishing. If you do that, and water is allowed to pool on the cover, it will make its way inside. Your seat and other equipment will probably get wet. The other side of that is that the cover does breath. I will say that the cover trailers very well, and I find it especially useful when going on trips, being able to rig my kayak, put the cover on, and go. It keeps my stuff protected from the myriad of road hazards, dirt, dust etc, and at the same times give me a semblance of protection for my gear inside the kayak, from both the elements and sticky fingered individuals.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

Last edited by STLKayak on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To echo what STL said:

It never hurts to cover a PA up if it is stored outside. Keep in mind that depending on where you live and how often you leave it covered, it would be advisable to inspect it once a week (if not in use) to make sure the cover is providing the protection you want. A boat or PA left covered in a high humidity location will eventually start to collect mold in areas due to being covered and the moisture present.

Congrats on the PA! :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you must store your kayak outdoors, it will be ideal to keep the kayak and cover dry and shaded.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone for the reponse!
I live in Miami, so it's hot and humid most of the time. Here it rains almost everyday during summer but it barely rains in winter. My plan is to keep the kayak covered but not rigged; not even the seat on it. It will be every day outside sunny or rainy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

regerete wrote:
Thanks everyone for the reponse!
I live in Miami, so it's hot and humid most of the time. Here it rains almost everyday during summer but it barely rains in winter. My plan is to keep the kayak covered but not rigged; not even the seat on it. It will be every day outside sunny or rainy.

For what you are doing, the Hobie cover would probably work great. It may not be completely water proof, but if you store it non-rigged, who cares. Plus the cover does breath some, which should help with releasing some of the humidity. It will definitely protect it from that Fla sunshine. It is also very easy to put on/take off. Takes me just a matter of minutes even when the kayak is on the trailer. I just roll it on and off, just like a... (The only analogy I could come up with had to do with Trojans, so I am going to leave that alone.)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hahahaha STLKayak, nice way of explaining things! :lol: