Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to site and first post. About to purchase a 17T looking for recommendations (for or against) side imaging fish finders, also interested in ideas or comments for rod holders, planer boards and downrigger options and mounts.

Anyone trolling while sailing?

Primarily fishing freshwater, jigging / trolling for stripers on Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Thanks,
FishOn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Lowrance Elite Ti with TotalScan is a great unit. Chirp Sonar, DownScan and SideScan. Comes with WiFi and Bluetooth.

Here is a good price bundled with the Navionics+ card.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-El ... P4711.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hoping for a factory tech answer

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FishOn wrote:
New to site and first post. About to purchase a 17T looking for recommendations (for or against) side imaging fish finders, also interested in ideas or comments for rod holders, planer boards and downrigger options and mounts.

Anyone trolling while sailing?

Primarily fishing freshwater, jigging / trolling for stripers on Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Thanks,
FishOn

Hobie partners with Lowrance...Of the Lowrance finders we offer, I'd recommend the Elite 7Ti for a unit with side imaging capability. Side imaging transducers are a great application for locating structure and fish/bait that are up in the water column. The Elite 7Ti comes standard from us with the TotalScan transducer and can be mounted using our Lowrance Ready TotalScan mounting plate (part #72020207). BerleyPro also offers a mounting solution for this transducer that's compatible with Hobie kayaks, and covers the entire transducer if you're adamant about that. We've left ours mostly open for performance reasons. BerleyPro application may or may not hinder performance (I don't have personal experience with the BerleyPro mount, but have received mixed reviews on performance).

As for other accessories, check out our H-Rail line of accessories that are plug and play with the H-Rail mounting system on the PA 17T...and with trolling I'd definitely recommend using the H-Rail Rod holder (part #72020098) with the HD Strap Kit (part #72020099). For downrigger fishing, I'd recommend the Laketroller from Scotty mounted to a Scotty deck mount (available on an H-Rail clamp, as a flush deck mount, or as a standard deck/side mount.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Howie,
Gander Mountian has a Hummingbird 698ci HD SI on sale for $199.99 (after rebates) ($500 off retail) through 8 April wondering if the transducer will fit in the 17T's transducer space?

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The XNT 9 SI 180 T transducer should fit in the Lowrance Ready cavity, but you'll need the Humminbird adapter kit (part no. 84505901) for mounting to the Lowrance ready plate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Howie, heading to Raleigh on Friday to pick it up, will order the adapter. Going to use a drive-on PWC floating dock, any pointers for modifying it? Have purchased 2" and 3" schedule 40 PVC to fashion a ramp and create a bed for it to rest on, also planning to install a winch to get it up on the float. Any recommendations for lateral spacing, how far forward or aft the bottom of the kayak needs to be supported?

Thanks,
FishOn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a lowrance elite ti 7 and love it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

touayang84
I had my eye on the same unit until the Gander Mountain ad came out for the Humminbird 698 SI at $199 (after rebates) and got drawn in by the price, will be trying to install it as soon as my adapter arrives next week. Being my first time using SI, it will be a learning experience for sure.

Striper season is in full swing here, I've been out at least once each day since I picked it up last week, still waiting to hook my first big fish but even the small ones are just great fun. I am also in the market for a light, I see the yak attack LED with orange flag but would be fine with a lower cost option if you have any recommendations.

Thanks
FishOn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

FishOn: The XNT 9 SI 180 T transducer may indeed fit inside the Lowrance ready scupper cavity but your Side Imaging will be useless. The transducer must be below the hull in order for side imaging to work. Fear not as you can still use that fishfinder and transducer but you will need to purchase the BerleyPro Humminbird Ready Transducer Mount.

https://www.berleypro.com/product/berle ... its-hobie/

This will allow you to bolt directly to the Lowrance Ready scupper location after you remove the plate from the bottom of the hull. It utilizes the same bolt locations so no drilling or alterations are required.

The only downside of going this route is that the BerleyPro mounting plate does hang down about 1 3/4 or so underneath the hull. The tri-hull design of the Pro Angler 14 does negate this issue when sitting flush on the ground so I'm assuming that the Pro Angler 17t hull would do the same. This "hanging down" is necessary to allow the side imaging to get a clear shot to the port and starboard sides without interference.

This is an issue inherent to all side imaging units and is not specific to Humminbird depth sounders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ring King

Thank you, this is excellent information. Just went down to the dock to see about the hang down clearance and it appears the 17T may have the same good design. I have ordered the Humminbird adapter in the Hobie catalog (based on assumption that I'd need it) but am guessing that this will fill all 'Humminbird' needs.

Also, I was sold the fish finder installation kit but with the number of 'thru hull' wire fittings I am wondering if I might just want to buy a battery bracket and battery separately, any thoughts? Is there any other 'sealing' (gasket, goop, etc.) I need to do that I need the installation kit for?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions but appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
FishOn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Humminbird adapter kit that Hobie sells will not be of use to you. It's for mounting a traditional 2D sonar transducer inside the Lowrance ready cavity. A traditional transducer would not protrude from the bottom of the hull like a side imaging transducer needs to.

The fish finder installation kit is basically just wire, battery, and battery bracket. I don't use one personally. I spend long amounts of time on the water (+12 hours) generally and for the larger fish finders especially with side imaging I found that I needed a substantially larger battery than those kits accommodate. To install the Humminbird 698 SI on your 17T you really just need an H-Rail RAM ball adapter, matching RAM arm mount for the 698 SI, a few 1/4 20 nuts bolts and washers to mount the indicator to the RAM mount, Berley Pro transducer plate, some wire, a couple terminal connectors, and a battery. My batteries on all three of my Pro Angler 14's and on my wife's Outback are just placed inside the hull where they can't slide around due to the foam blocks that are already used as deck supports. I'm using 22aH SLA batteries in all of my boats so that we can fish all day and not have power issues as well as not degrading the life of the battery by running them down past 50%. The Hobie boats come with the thru hull wiring plugs already so nothing else is needed. Installation is quick and easy and really shouldn't take much more than an hour even for a first time installer.

I've linked a few of the products I was referring to below in addition to the BerleyPro link that I posted earlier. Other than the nuts, bolts, washers, wire, and terminal connectors this should be all you need to get your 17T rigged and ready for the water. If you have any questions on setting up the 698 SI just let me know as my wife has that same fish finder on her Outback.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Ram-Ball-H ... bie+H-Rail

https://www.amazon.com/Mounts-RAM-107-1 ... inbird+698

https://www.amazon.com/ML22-12-Battery- ... LA+battery