Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First post! Question. I have a PA14 with the Hobie rail and I am trying to figure out how to mount my downrigger. It is a Cannon Mini Troll and I made to clamp on the side of a boat, but the Hobie rail is in the way. I don't want to remove the rail so I am wondering if anyone has mounted a Cannon Mini Troll and if you have can you post up a pic or two?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Penguine wrote:
First post! Question. I have a PA14 with the Hobie rail and I am trying to figure out how to mount my downrigger. It is a Cannon Mini Troll and I made to clamp on the side of a boat, but the Hobie rail is in the way. I don't want to remove the rail so I am wondering if anyone has mounted a Cannon Mini Troll and if you have can you post up a pic or two?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
I agree that you should not remove the H-Rail just to accommodate the Mini Troll. The configuration of that particular clamp-on style of DR mounting dies not lend itself well to a kayak. If it is brand new and returnable then I would look at getting something else that can be fitted to the H-Rail Universal Plate. If not, then I could envision fabricating something to slip into one of the molded-in rod holders behind the seat. Basically, a flat clamp-on surface (2x4?) on a post (PVC?). Or perhaps cut a block of wood to fit between the gunwale and H-Rail, then drape an inverted "U"-shaped piece SS sheeting over the H-Rail, the block and the gunwale, then clamp the DR to that. Wander the plumbing aisles at your local hardware store for inspiration. Then post your solution for the next guy!
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jim. I had thought about cutting a block of wood to fit between the kayak and the rail and then covering it with aluminum but don't want to put any holes in the Hobie. What I think I am going to do is mount a piece of synthetic deck material that is 2x4x4 to a H-Rail Universal Plate. I might try first using a block of wood 2x4x4 just to see how it will hold up on the water. I know a piece of wood isn't the best option to have getting wet, but it would be a start. Might try a piece of AC2 treated 2x4 and see how that works. I should have looked into a kayak DR before buying the Cannon Mini-Troll, but now that I have it I will try and adapt it to what I got.

Thanks!