Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright 403 owners, have any of you come up with a clever way to rid ourselves of the dreaded cavitation gurgle that happens above 3/4 throttle? I know these things could go faster if we could stop that round motor shaft from causing the cavitation.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ive come up with a way but haven't done it yet..and yes, there is quite a bit more speed when the cavitation stops.
I found this out one day when a couple of huge leaves managed to wrap themselves around the leg . You could make something very easy..I was going to use a MEAD nylon folder, some double sided tape and some spray in foam to make one..another guy on here used something you can buy and it snaps around the leg but bolts together on the aft end..the idea i came up with would certainly be more streamline ..just depends on what you want to do i suppose.
There is a thread or posts showing pics somewhere in here if they haven't disappeared like all the other ones seem to do...I'd post them again but its to much trouble and they too would eventually disappear..helping people on this forum is a chore...maybe one day Hobie will update their software to the 21st century but i doubt it...good luck

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1535043919861932&set=p.1535043919861932&type=3

I have dropped it as low as I can without the steering lines dragging on the deck. So now Ive begun to experiment with a foil to streamline the water movement around the shaft. Gorrilla Tape Prototype worked very well, and as a result I only cavitate at Wide Open Throttle. Now to build a permanent one.

Thanks to Yak9107 and his leaf story for the idea!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakinthesalt wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1535043919861932&set=p.1535043919861932&type=3

I have dropped it as low as I can without the steering lines dragging on the deck. So now Ive begun to experiment with a foil to streamline the water movement around the shaft. Gorrilla Tape Prototype worked very well, and as a result I only cavitate at Wide Open Throttle. Now to build a permanent one.

Thanks to Yak9107 and his leaf story for the idea!

Looked at your FB link. The foil needs to be tear shaped coming off the back side of the shaft. The tape pictured looks to be making contact with the shaft on the back side and coming together. The foil needs to hug the shaft tightly around the front of the shaft but taper off the sides with no contact to the rear 160* or so and coming together about 3" or so behind the shaft. The void in the foil liner behind the shaft can be filled with some spray in foam or something else you come up with...hope this helps...good luck...