Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just got a 17t!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the site, and Hobie kayaks. A relatively new transplant in to VA from coastal TX.

Pretty excited to get this beast, and start getting out there again...been a while. My kayak fishing in the past was limited to shallow marsh...now will be mostly freshwater lakes and rivers. I was pretty minimalist then with just a bag, paddle, fly rod and spinning rod. I think I want to add a fishfinder to this boat, and maybe a motor/trolling motor as I intend to fish a larger variety of places.

A couple things I'm hoping y'all can help with.

1. Somebody that has done this, or knows specifically where to look please direct me to the packages that I can get a Lowrance fishfinder with side scan, and if there's a kit to go along with it would love that link as well? I would love to see video or pics of your setup as well.

2. Has anyone put a small gas powered motor on your 17t? Similar to what is done on the solo skiff, which can take a gas or electric motor.

Absolut

Post subject: Re: Just got a 17t!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had my PA17 for a couple or so months. I've done quite a few mods already and next is going to be the fish finder. Obviously the Lowrance is a first choice due to the built in scupper mount but just so you know, that's not going to work well with any side scan. I have seen one kit that is for the side scan and it's gotten very mixed reviews and talk frequently to a guy with a PA14 who simply could not get effective results with the factory scupper mounted type install. The transducer needs to sit below the hull to be effective... which at the same time puts it in harms way if you beach or bottom out your PA. His solution was to simply use a Railblaza side mount hangs off the H rail. Granted it's not the slickest solution but he had a very clean install that he could easily move or even take off if needed. Most important, however, he said it's the only way he could get effective reliability out of it. After doing quite a bit of research, I'm going with the HELIX 7 and will use the same Railblaza side mount. With a bit of effort you can make a really slick install.

Trolling motor is also in the next set of upgrades. I haven't seen an effective gas motor install yet that I would want, but I do like Island Hoppers transom mount kit. They're local here in St. Pete and I've had the opportunity to see them in action and I really like what they've done and its reasonably priced.

A lot of what you do and how you configure things depends on where you are. If you're in the flats in Florida, the saying goes that you go from 6 feet to 6 inches in 6 feet. If you're doing a lot of beach type launches, a side scan transducer or a certain trolling motor setups simply don't make sense. They work fine in lakes or wherever the water drops off very steep and quickly. My best advice is to take your time, use your yak and figure out what may work and what may not. I've changed my mind about a lot of things that I was "sure" about once I actually started using it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We offer the Elite 7Ti with TotalScan (part no. 72020206).

For mounting the TotalScan transducer: you'll need an aftermarket TotalScan transducer mount for Lowrance Ready Hobies. We offer the Lowrance Ready TotalScan plate (part no. 72020207).

For wiring up the unit: Lowrance Ready Fish Finder Installation kit (part 72020070).

For mounting your Fish Finder: H-Rail RAM Ball 1.5" (part no. 84620151), RAM Lowrance Mount (part no. 72023054)

If you'd rather go over the side with your TotalScan, you can do that too, but it takes some different components.

We offer a complete trolling motor solution for the PA 17T.

Trolling Motor: Xi5 salt (part no. 72020121) OR Xi5 fresh (part no. 72020120)

Mount: Trolling motor mount (part no. 72020090) and Motorguide QR bracket (part no. 72020100)

Wiring: Wiring Kit (part no. 72021090)

Power: Purchase a deep cycle 12V battery from a local supplier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
We offer the Elite 7Ti with TotalScan (part no. 72020206).

For mounting the TotalScan transducer: you'll need an aftermarket TotalScan transducer mount for Lowrance Ready Hobies. We offer the Lowrance Ready TotalScan plate (part no. 72020207).

For wiring up the unit: Lowrance Ready Fish Finder Installation kit (part 72020070).

What is your assessment of the longevity/protection of the transducer using this setup if you're launching from beaches? Here in Florida we have typically have very skinny launch zones... lots of shell and what not. My concern is having the transducer being dragged over this due to it protruding below the hull. What are your thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie TotalScan mount was built for performance, so it leaves most of the transducer exposed. Dragging the boat over softer sand, no problem. I wouldn't drag it across a medium that's capable of scraping up the bottom of your yak....If you're concerned about this, BerleyPro makes a Hobie TotalScan plate that completely houses the transducer, and it seems to be performing fine for people out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
The Hobie TotalScan mount was built for performance, so it leaves most of the transducer exposed. Dragging the boat over softer sand, no problem. I wouldn't drag it across a medium that's capable of scraping up the bottom of your yak....If you're concerned about this, BerleyPro makes a Hobie TotalScan plate that completely houses the transducer, and it seems to be performing fine for people out there.

Thanks. I'll check that out. I'm still thinking that a side mounted arm may still be the best way to go. With RAM mounting that you can easily just flip it up out of the way, I'm thinking it's just not worth the danger or potential for performance loss to have the transducer protruding out the bottom. Is there a specific reason you lean towards that setup instead of the side-arm style... beyond just being a somewhat cleaner install?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the info! Going to get that stuff asap. I was definitely concerned about having a permanently mounted transducer that is exposed on the bottom...it's just asking to be "removed" while under way.