Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Images of the crack: https://imgur.com/a/LsFPiMM

I noticed this crack the other day when I was switching my side scan transducer from a bottom mount to a side mount. The crack is inline with the transducer cable hole to go from the bottom of the kayak up to the main deck. I'm honestly not sure how long its been there. The only thing I can think of was 3 weeks ago I went smallie fishing on a shallow river with lots of shoals I had to drag over. I hit something hard enough to break my Berley Pro cover off of my Active Imaging transducer (hence moving it to a side mount) which is the main thing I can think of that would have caused this. That or the fact that I'm a big guy and may have sat down too hard 1 too many times. But with all that said, it could have popped up anytime since I originally installed my AI transducer back in January.

I am about a month outside of my warranty period as well since its a 2017 PA14 bought in mid to late April. Imagine that...

I've never attempted a plastic weld, but it seems simple enough. Is my best to drill a tiny hole at each end of the crack to prevent it from spreading and then using a good plastic welder to close it back?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would drill it on both ends and "V" the crack a little to get a good bond/melt. I have a hot air plastic welder that accepts 1/8" diameter rods and just fixed a crack on my PA-12 the other day.