Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shopping for a PA 14
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys,
I am looking at a 2014 PA14. I found a nice on with upgraded H rails for 2100.00. I plan on using this in the Gulf of Mexico. I think the 2014 does not have the retractable keel or the reverse drive. Should I spend the extra cash for new model which may have these features? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Shopping for a PA 14
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am not remotely an expert in this arena so be sure to do more checking. Here are some thoughts. I had a Hobie Outback with Mirage drive for about 4 or 5 years, Used it in freshwater and salt. Really liked it. Just bought a used 2019 PA 14. Based on my research I find $2,100 for a 2014 model to be a bit high-ish. YMMV and others probably have a better idea of the market. Personally I would go with at least the 180 drive (which I did). Not only for the reverse feature but for the retractable skeg, especially if your main use will be salt water. The reverse feature is especially useful for pulling up, quietly sliding the anchor in, and then backing away from the anchor. I use to guide (fly fishing mostly) in the salt (back country) and precise positioning is, again IMO, often a big deal. My reason for not getting a 360 drive model was mainly to avoid 1st generation issues and cost.
Depending on your time frame, you may want to be a bit patient in buying a kayak. Prices might be coming down a little in the future. Just a guess on my part and my bias to be very patient in purchasing used equipment.

I would like to emphasize that I am NOT saying my thoughts are correct and other views are wrong. Quite the contrary, these are just my subjective opinions and provided mainly to help frame a discussion.

Good luck with the search.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fish Lk Michigan a lot an do appreciate the skeg. It really helps with tracking when getting out to your fishing grounds and back, or in a stiff broadside breeze. It also helps me with running a downrigger while trolling. There have only been a handful of times when I would have used the reverse drive, though. Just not an issue on wide open water.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use my 2016 PA 14 to fish offshore in the gulf, some inshore and fresh water lakes (mainly drifting for catfish). I've had this kayak for about 3 years now and used the skeg once. To clarify when I drift for catfish I'm usually following a winding channel so the skeg doesn't help. That said if you plan on trolling baits as Jim mentioned the skeg will a big help.

As far as the price I'm not sure where you are located but in central Texas that's not a bad deal just not a great deal IMO. Recently a gentleman posted a 2018 Hobie PA 12 for sale in excellent shape for $2000. That's a great deal. You can find them you just have to be patient and ready to drop what you're doing and buy as soon as you see a great deal come up.