Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie PA14 question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, 1st time Kayak owner here. My 19yr old son and I decided we want to get into kayak fishing and camping. I picked up a Hobie PA14 this past week and from all my research was a great deal. It is a Hobie PA14 with Lowrance Elite Ti with battery and charger, River Stick on the rear of the kayak, kayak mounted wheels and paddle for $1250. I am picking up another Hobie PA14 tonight but it has a trailer for $2100. It is a Hobie PA14 and comes with Micro Power Pole, Lowrance Elite 5x fish finder, Hobie live well and a few other items. So, I have a couple questions:

1. How do I determine what year the kayaks were made?

2. I would like to upgrade the fins to the kick up fins. Is there a kit I can buy from Hobie to upgrade the current Mirage Drive or would I have to just buy 2 new Mirage drives with kick up fins?

Post subject: Re: Hobie PA14 question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ftgokie wrote:

See following link to locate and decode kayak VIN:

https://www.hobie.com/articles/boat-serial-number-location,15/

ftgokie wrote:
2. I would like to upgrade the fins to the kick up fins. Is there a kit I can buy from Hobie to upgrade the current Mirage Drive or would I have to just buy 2 new Mirage drives with kick up fins?

You will not be able to update your current Mirage drive to kick-up. If that capability is desired, you will need to purchase a 180 Mirage drive with kick-up. These are not currently available for purchase due to availability. They will not be cheap, MSRP probably near $800.

Peter

Post subject: Re: Hobie PA14 question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
ftgokie wrote:

See following link to locate and decode kayak VIN:

https://www.hobie.com/articles/boat-serial-number-location,15/

ftgokie wrote:

You will not be able to update your current Mirage drive to kick-up. If that capability is desired, you will need to purchase a 180 Mirage drive with kick-up. These are not currently available for purchase due to availability. They will not be cheap, MSRP probably near $800.

Peter

Thank you Peter, I really appreciate it. For now, I will just enjoy the kayaks as they are. Maybe towards the end of 2021 or 2022 I may purchase the new drive if I feel I need it.

Shawn