Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After years of dreaming, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Hobie PA14. I drive a built out 1998 (3rd Gen) Toyota 4Runner with a full length GOBI Stealth roof rack. The Rack is rated for 600lbs Static, and 300lbs driving load. It's an absolute UNIT that was designed with the overlander in mind (full roof top tent setups) so load weight and versatility isn't the issue.

My only concern is to figure out an onload/offload system. I believe I'm strong enough to maneuver the yak (I'm a fit 26 year old), but I want to figure out an efficient system that will most importantly protect my my 4Runner and my new kayak. I plan to ceiling store in in my garage, so lowering it on/off my car will be a breeze. The obstacle here lies with on/off loading it when I'm out at the edge of water.

Anyone have any success with side loaders? rear loaders? custom systems? purchased products? I DO NOT WANT TO TRAILER! A Trailer would totally defeat my purpose of a kayak and mobility to fish anywhere. Any kind of feedback would be very helpful! Pictures of my truck can be found on instagram [url]instagram.com/daurunner[/url]