Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I bought a 2021 PA12 180 drive last year, brand new from a dealer. I figured I'd check on here first before I reached out to the dealer. I randomly noticed a gap along the seams of one of my fins, then found out both sides of both fins are doing this. I haven't particularly hit anything hard or anything like that. I use my PA 1-2 times a week right now (back in school so I just don't have the time to fish as much as I normally do). Strictly freshwater. So I have a couple of questions.

1) Is this expected normal wear/tear?
2) If not, how serious is this/quickly does it have to be taken care of? (Can I fish with it this weekend? Can I wait till the season is over?)
3) If not normal wear/tear, is this something covered under the warranty?
4) If it is covered by the warranty, approx. how long should I expect to be without my pedal drive? I have very limited time to fish this year (in college + work full time + have a 5yo), so I'm really hoping this isn't going to absolutely kill the rest of my fishing season.
I can't fish much in the fall because of school, and the fact my job is especially busy in the Spring and the Fall due to the nature of the business.
5) Am I freaking out over nothing?

It did alarm me when I first saw it just a little bit ago today (haven't fished since last Friday), but at the same time it almost seems like it's not this big issue where I immediately can't use my pedal drive. Fins seemed fine for functionality last Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had also posted in a Hobie group on Facebook and I've been told this is actually normal. I'm relieved but I have one more question about this situation. In order to preserve these fins a little longer, would it be alright to put some Marine Goop? Or something similar? I do not want to use duct tape, or any tape really. I'm thinking of just applying a small amount along the entire seam on both sides of each fin. I'd just like to know if it makes sense to do that, if I shouldn't, and if it would void any warranty or anything. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:36 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Hello,

Fin Splitting is a normal function of the fin. Fin splitting occurs because the fin is made out of two different materials, one provides structure and the other allows for flexibility. Please watch the video in the link that will explain fin splitting in greater detail.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:44 am 
Site Admin

No, do not use goop to fill the split. That will reduce the intended twist of the fin on the mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dcaballero wrote:
Hello,

Fin Splitting is a normal function of the fin. Fin splitting occurs because the fin is made out of two different materials, one provides structure and the other allows for flexibility. Please watch the video in the link that will explain fin splitting in greater detail.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! I'll check this out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
No, do not use goop to fill the split. That will reduce the intended twist of the fin on the mast.

Ah ok thank you. I was thinking it would help them hold up longer but if it's a "necessary" thing I'll just leave the fins be I guess. I only thought of this because I was told others duct tape or gorilla tape their fins so I thought Marine Goop would be a better solution. Is there anything I can do that is recommended, or is the recommendation truly to just let them be? Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dcaballero wrote:
Hello,

So I was just able to watch this video now and it says this fin splitting only occurs on 1 side of the fin. Since mine are splitting on both sides, is there something to worry about knowing that? Or is that normal with a 180 drive/kick up fins specifically? In the video he's showing a turbo (but NOT kick up) fin. IDK if that makes a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

This is an older video, so may have changed processes on the KU versions. Still not hearing about actual failures though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome, thank you, sir! Appreciate the info.