Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all thank you for any help in advance . I have had my kayak for years and live across from a beach and would lug it about a football field away to the water. As I get older this is not doable anymore so I am in the market for a trailer. Could anyone please recommend a trailer for me I have been looking at this one and currently own the cradles already not sure what else I would need to make it work. I live in a condo and would not be able to back up and repark the kayak in the garage so I would need to unhook it and manually roll it back in so something semi light would be nice any recommendations or solutions apricated !

trailer
https://www.mariner-sails.com/trailex-k ... 220-s.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can recommend the trailer you are looking at. I purchased the same Trailex SUT220 back in 2012 for a new Hobie PA-14 and used it for several years with only minor maintenance.

I modified the trailer to add a tongue roll around jack/wheel and small 500 pound capacity, recovery winch for the bow to help pull the PA onto the trailer in shallow water. It also doubles as a safety line connected to the bow carrying handle.
Don't forget to add a spare tire bolted to the tongue.

Since the PA-17 is heavier (210 pounds) than the PA-14 (145 pounds), I would suggest the SUT350 so there is some load margin.

I can tell you my PA-14 weighed about 180 pounds fully loaded and your PA-17 will most likely be pushing 250 pounds if you carry things like an fish finder, batteries, anchor, safety equipment, water, spare parts, tackle, etc, etc.

Lastly, the tongue jack/wheel makes moving around the trailer a snap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

EZ Loader 68BT 14′-17′ 1250

I got mine fitted with Hobie's support craddles. Great rig.