Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get a Wave, Brindisi at Select Sports right there in Omaha is a great Hobie Dealer and will set you up. Talk to Dawn. The Wave will end up being the boat of choice of all us old guys around here in the next 10years and the kids will have no trouble with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rich, it is a bit pricy (~$11,000.00), and not much of a dealer network (East and West Coast only), but there is a 14' trimaran worth looking at http://www.wetamarine.com/. It covers all the aspects of what you said you are looking for and has impressive performance stats. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hellooooo??? HOBIE forum! Hobie Wave.......cheap, indestructible and easy as pie to sail. Plus, in YOUR town.
Chris Wessels
HCA Racing/Social Chair :D
Fleet 10
Clear Lake Iowa
Hobie 14,16 ex-20 and soon to be Wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
Chris Wessels
HCA Racing/Social Chair :D
Fleet 10
Clear Lake Iowa
Hobie 14,16 ex-20 and soon to be Wave.
Dork

You're going to buy a Wave instead of that FXone in NC? Your must be putting your shrink's kids through an ivy league schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scuzzlebutt wrote:
Quote:
And if you want to race, there are regattas around the country

I would give my right arm for a Wave regatta in around Dallas, New Orleans, or Houston.

The support for Wave racing has been disappointing in the Dallas area... But then a large number of people we sell Waves to do not buy trailers - we either deliver it or they come for it with some other trailer. And since the Fleet officers are volunteers, I can not give them a hard time. There's only so many hours in a day.

But it seems to me like Wave sailors are an untapped market for Fleets all over the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

scuzzlebutt wrote:
Kansas City and Panama City are both 10-12hr drives for me. Ouch!

Unfortunately work really only allows weekend trips for me :( and 12hrs one way turns into 24hrs round trip. Tack on sailing and there is no time for sleep.

There. FIFY.

Who needs to sleep? It's only 560 miles. I've done nearly twice that for a weekend regatta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rsantora wrote:
Sounds like a lot of fun!! I need to find a boat first. I'm going to our boat show in February to check out the Wave and the Getaway. My wife has to approve of the whole thing. She doesn't want me to kill the kids. In the old days I would only go out during wind warnings so the powerboats would stay in. I love to go fast. I cartwheeled a lot. Now with kids, I need to enjoy light winds and take it easy. I'm older now, so I think I will enjoy going slower. (at least that's what I keep telling myself)
Rich, go slow? Seriously? :lol: It's in your blood brother! ...bought a brand new Hobie in '84, eh? ...two kids? Sounds like a double trapeze boat is in order.

This remind anyone of Roger Taha, with two grand daughters as crew, reeking havoc in 16A fleet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm really hoping the family takes to sailing!! If that happens, I'm sure a Wave will not be the only boat in the garage. My daughter is a girly girl. Not sure how she will handle getting wet. But my son will have more fun in a pitchpole then I do. I hope this all works out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Dog wrote:
Quote:
And since the Fleet officers are volunteers, I can not give them a hard time.

Give me some numbers to call/email addresses and I will give them a hard time - I will do my part to see DFW area Wave racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here in Indianapolis, we piggy-backed the Wave regattas onto existing "open" regattas at a local sailing club. All we had to do was meet their requirement (number) for our own start. They welcomed us because it pumped up their numbers, and made for a bigger party.

If you have any local clubs handy, see if you can do the same there. Contact Rick White at catsailor.com for help in organizing and promoting it. People will come.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scuzzlebutt wrote:
The Dog wrote:
Quote:
And since the Fleet officers are volunteers, I can not give them a hard time.

Give me some numbers to call/email addresses and I will give them a hard time - I will do my part to see DFW area Wave racing.

And have some of those crazy sailing men and women of Fleet 23 after me?!?! I don't think so. :lol: But you should be able to find what you need here:

http://www.hobiefleet23.com

Of course, Fleet members have more pull than non-members. :wink: So be careful what you wish for, lest you get drafted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess, Yes this is a Hobie forum, but Hobie USA has fallen off the cart compaired to Hobie Europe when it comes to providing sailing alternatives http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?produits,produits .
That's right Hobie Europe has 16 boat choices (6 polyethylene and 10 fiberglas) compaired to measly 6 offered by Hobie USA. I would love to be able to select from the European quiver, but alas I can't. AND I'm tired of the excuse Hobie USA gives about demographics. SO it is no wonder that a person has to look outside the Hobie USA offerings!!!!! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I vote getaway, its a great family boat and easy to sail, you could put a couple of hooks on the back of your house and hang the mast up there for the off season. I sailed 16's for many years but its not really a family boat, in my very small opinion I think the wave would be pushing it with the whole family on board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just to second Wessel's thought, Mike and Dawn and select sail are great to work with. Also my Wife and I live in Omaha and would love to help you out with whatever we can. We have a tiger, not what your looking for but a great boat to go for a sail on, the crew does not have to do anything when you leave the spinnaker out, so that lets the crew just enjoy the sail.

There is a great group that sails out of Branched Oak lake in Lincoln most weekends throughout the summer and love helping new sailors. If you have any questions you can reach me at [email protected].

Thanks, Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I did talk with Dawn in October about all of this. I told I'd come to the boat show in February to look at the boats. Mainly for my wife to see. I do like the Getaway, but if my wife doesn't take to sailing I'd have a pretty tough time rigging it myself. then the Wave might be a better fit. I may take a trip to branched oak this summer and talk to you guys. My biggest issue is storing it in my garage. It's 22' deep. We have a covenant in our neighborhood that bans boats in the driveway. I'll probably be in touch with more questions.

Thanks,

Rich