Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:55 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Well, got started. ImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
ImageWaterproofed bottom and sides.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:09 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 687
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Here are some quick pics of my current setup

Big storage box on tongue, 15" sail tube, and an open box for chairs, tents, canopy, cooler, etc:
Image
Image

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
That is an interesting setup. Like it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:10 am
Posts: 687
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
sxrracer wrote:
That is an interesting setup. Like it

Here's a picture of the front box
Image

_________________
Zach


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:43 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 am
Posts: 27
Working on a cheap sail box.

Today I ordered, from Lowes, 12 inch diameter by 5ft length duct pipe, qty 2, galvanized. each is about $17.

Home depot sells caps, but i might also try something wierd like a soup pot from the salvation army.

will let you know how it goes, maybe post photos.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:32 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 am
Posts: 27
The progress so far: have a basic parts list and have begun collecting parts

https://imgur.com/B2k7XVN

https://imgur.com/66BppA9

https://imgur.com/VHK0MG4

Thinking about using two of these post caps to secure the tube to the trailer crossbars. use the bottom ears to clamp to crossbars. use top ears to secure tube lateral and back/forth. round head cap screw thru drilled hole in tube, and then through the top ears, which will need to have been bent out and a large obtuse angle to fit the 12" tube.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:05 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 337
Location: little Washington, NC
dunebugmi wrote:
The progress so far: have a basic parts list and have begun collecting parts

https://imgur.com/B2k7XVN

https://imgur.com/66BppA9

https://imgur.com/VHK0MG4

Thinking about using two of these post caps to secure the tube to the trailer crossbars. use the bottom ears to clamp to crossbars. use top ears to secure tube lateral and back/forth. round head cap screw thru drilled hole in tube, and then through the top ears, which will need to have been bent out and a large obtuse angle to fit the 12" tube.


Despite the fact that the duct appears to be galvanized it will likely eventually rust in spots. You might want to paint, coat, or otherwise line the inside (if it is snap-lock just open it up and lay it flat.) Regardless, first, clean the surface, it may contain light oil used during forming.

Also, do not store items in the tube, especially damp or wet sails, just use it to transport them to the water and home. Due to possible moisture in the contents (wet or damp sails, sheets, PFD, etc.) or just atmospheric humidity and temperature changes, you can expect the insides to "sweat" as moisture condenses- that can quickly lead to rust and mold.

It is summer- you should be sailing and not messing with the trailer!!! :D

_________________
Alan
'86 H16, Sail #89057


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:48 am
Posts: 27
aschaffter wrote:
dunebugmi wrote:
The progress so far: have a basic parts list and have begun collecting parts

https://imgur.com/B2k7XVN

https://imgur.com/66BppA9

https://imgur.com/VHK0MG4

Thinking about using two of these post caps to secure the tube to the trailer crossbars. use the bottom ears to clamp to crossbars. use top ears to secure tube lateral and back/forth. round head cap screw thru drilled hole in tube, and then through the top ears, which will need to have been bent out and a large obtuse angle to fit the 12" tube.


Despite the fact that the duct appears to be galvanized it will likely eventually rust in spots. You might want to paint, coat, or otherwise line the inside (if it is snap-lock just open it up and lay it flat.) Regardless, first, clean the surface, it may contain light oil used during forming.

Also, do not store items in the tube, especially damp or wet sails, just use it to transport them to the water and home. Due to possible moisture in the contents (wet or damp sails, sheets, PFD, etc.) or just atmospheric humidity and temperature changes, you can expect the insides to "sweat" as moisture condenses- that can quickly lead to rust and mold.

It is summer- you should be sailing and not messing with the trailer!!! :D


Hi, thanks for the advice. I live in an apartment (the boat and trailer live parked out on some far away land a friend of mine owns) so my intention was to store the sails in the tube full time, unless they are wet. I'm not sure what to do with them when they are wet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:03 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 337
Location: little Washington, NC
dunebugmi wrote:
aschaffter wrote:
dunebugmi wrote:
The progress so far: have a basic parts list and have begun collecting parts

https://imgur.com/B2k7XVN

https://imgur.com/66BppA9

https://imgur.com/VHK0MG4

Thinking about using two of these post caps to secure the tube to the trailer crossbars. use the bottom ears to clamp to crossbars. use top ears to secure tube lateral and back/forth. round head cap screw thru drilled hole in tube, and then through the top ears, which will need to have been bent out and a large obtuse angle to fit the 12" tube.


Despite the fact that the duct appears to be galvanized it will likely eventually rust in spots. You might want to paint, coat, or otherwise line the inside (if it is snap-lock just open it up and lay it flat.) Regardless, first, clean the surface, it may contain light oil used during forming.

Also, do not store items in the tube, especially damp or wet sails, just use it to transport them to the water and home. Due to possible moisture in the contents (wet or damp sails, sheets, PFD, etc.) or just atmospheric humidity and temperature changes, you can expect the insides to "sweat" as moisture condenses- that can quickly lead to rust and mold.

It is summer- you should be sailing and not messing with the trailer!!! :D


Hi, thanks for the advice. I live in an apartment (the boat and trailer live parked out on some far away land a friend of mine owns) so my intention was to store the sails in the tube full time, unless they are wet. I'm not sure what to do with them when they are wet.


I really wouldn't advise that. If at all possible, bring the sails back to your apartment. While you can remove rust from a your sail with CLR or similar product, or use straight oxalic acid crystals in hot water, it can be a lot of work - I know, I have experience!

_________________
Alan
'86 H16, Sail #89057


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DIY Sail Box
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm
Posts: 105
i launch directly from my trailer so i find "Fill-Drain" holes very beneficial. I admit it is an all glass box, but allowing it to fill and drain works out ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group