Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger Steps
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I currently have a 16 and love it. I am thinking I want to eventually be on a Tiger. The 16 is a little unnerving for my friends in great lakes and the ocean when the weather picks up. I am looking for a faster more stable boat. It seems as if I could pick up a used 20 miracle for half the price of a used tiger. The tiger is a pretty big wallet pull compared to other cats and I have alligator arms. As far as progression, is the 20 a good baby step toward a tiger, since I'm so cheap. It seems as if I would eventually want to be good on a tiger, the 20 is a logical step as opposed to going from a 16 straight to a tiger. I'm really not into racing(yet)and it doesn't seem there are large fleets near me. I just like to like to go fast and fly hulls. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're cheap and want to go fast and fly a hull without the fear of pitchpoling like a 16, then have you thought about an 18? I learned to sail on a 16, but enjoyed the couple times I was on an 18 more. Compared to a 16, an 18 doesn't pitchpole as easily, handles a little better, and sails faster. They are cheaper than Tigers and 20s, too. Regretfully, I can't speak for the Tiger or 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess I'm not that cheap. I've been on an 18 and it is much more of a stable boat. I think the ergonomics of the 16 are better than the 18. it's like there is no place for #2 to sit unless your trapped out. When I think of a 20, I think of a late 1990 w/spinnaker, and that appeals to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you don't like the 18 I don't think you will like the 20 it has more lines in the crew area. The 20 also has a lot of power and I think is harder to sail than the tiger. The tiger has a self tacking jib (on the newer models) and less sail area than the 20 if you don't have all sail up. There are plenty of used tigers for sail and that would be a good start. I would go sail on both boats and make your decision. If you don't know anyone that has one see if you can crew with someone at a regatta or just show up and see if you can get a ride. I will always take someone out before or after a regatta. Here is a site where you can find events near you www.catsailor.com or nahca.org.
good luck and happy sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

buzzman,

In my opinion, the 16, 18 and 20 are all overpowered boats. From what I hear and read the Tiger is a bit more managable in heavy air, but then it has a spin also.

If your crew is like you and wants to go fast, fly hulls and have fun look at the Portsmith ratings on the boats. The 20 is faster than a 18, is faster than the 16. Your crew can get used to blocks and control lines being in the way when the pay off is speed and exileration.8)

The Tiger is faster than the Miracle but they're not old enough for us "cheap" guys yet (three in college means lucky to have even one boat). We're having a ball on these "old" boats, which is what makes One Design class racing so much fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even though the Hobie 16 is known for it's pitchpolling.

I have taken the 16 out in Small Craft warnings, and full Gale warnings with no problems! Even when I was 60lbs lighter then I am now.

It just takes practice in learning what the boat is going to do, and how to trim the sails, and where to put your weight.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rethinking this, since I still solo alot. Is the 20 a practical boat to solo?, with the exception of the spinnaker. Also, I'm thinking with my 16 maybe I'll pick up a spinnaker kit for the 16, which will give me chute experiance.
Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can single hand any boat/cat, depending on your weight however, will determin what conditions you will want to get the boat back to shore.

The 20 would be powering up allot sooner then the 16, and you would have to bring it back in sooner, also regardless of the pitching potential, it requires more weight to right in the event of a normal capsize while single handing.

For single handing, I would keep the 16, then you can get a crew for the Hobie Points Regatta's.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think any 2 up boat is "practical" to solo, solely from the stand point that you're going to need (or I would anyway) a righting bag or some other ballast/aparatas to assist in righting, and I feel that is enough a safety issue to deem it un-practical. If you're dressed properly for the weather, have the righting gear and have practiced with your system, OK.

That said, I solo the 16 late in our season, after the crew goes back to school and have put the other boats to sleep for the Winter. Truth be known, I never really enjoy soloing the 16 in any appreciable winds, where I think the 16 really starts to come to life, as when 2 up, because I was always dreading blowing over. You will find there are many on this forum who solo the 16, I guess when I sail I like to live too close to the edge and the 16 just doesn't give me the comfort I need (BTW I weigh 165). I would much rather solo the 18 or 20 as they are more stable boats.

And, the spinnaker is optional equipment on the H20 and at least in Division 7 and 14 not currently raced with one.

Post subject: One person sailing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have single handed both my Tiger and my 20 when I had it. These are a bit easier in my opinion to do than a 16. They tack around the daggerboards very fast. You do not need to backwind the jib. Tiger tacks itself. The 16 has to be backwinded just so. That means that you are paying attention to the jib while letting the main go. Sheeting it then going to the main.

On the 20 you can ease or let the jib go either before or after the tack. The 20 is fast but does not seem to fly the hull as radically as the 16. I think the reason for this is that the hull on a 16 stalls. It will not go forward before it goes sideways. The 20 and the Tiger will both go forward before going in the air. This makes them easier to solo. Make sure you do not roll off the back of the boat the first few times you sheet in these boats. I almost did. I was not ready for the boat to go forward so quickly. I sailed a 16 for many years and was prepared for the flying of the hull first.

By the way I have also soloed the Tiger with the spinnaker.

If you are a one-design guy find the biggest fleet in your area. Remember a Tiger is also a Formula 18. It is expensive but oh so worth it.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Dan,

I've been sailing the H16 for about a year. I've had a crew only twice since I've been sailing my boat. I've not sailed any other catamarans solo but I can honestly say that sailing the H16 has been a joy. I weigh 220 LBS so righting it solo isn't even a problem. I enjoy the challenge. I thought the whole idea of sailing was the challenge. I rig (including stepping the mast, and not with one of those contraptions either), launch and sail this boat solo and I have to say that all this has become second nature. I listened to everyones advice and used what worked for me. I use to wonder why a lot of the guys would watch me rig, launch and sail my boat. Sailing my boat solo gives me a sence of accomplishment. If I wanted it to be easy, I could've bought a motorboat. :^ (

Having said that, I know that there's no greater sence of accomplishment than when two or more come together and pool their talents and knowledge to accomplish a common goal. Now, I have to find a crew so I can race this doggone thing. :^ )

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hello Dan,

I've been sailing the H16 for about a year. I've had a crew only twice since I've been sailing my boat. I've not sailed any other catamarans solo but I can honestly say that sailing the H16 has been a joy. I weigh 220 LBS so righting it solo isn't even a problem. I enjoy the challenge. I thought the whole idea of sailing was the challenge. I rig (including stepping the mast, and not with one of those contraptions either), launch and sail this boat solo and I have to say that all this has become second nature. I listened to everyones advice and used what worked for me. I use to wonder why a lot of the guys would watch me rig, launch and sail my boat. Sailing my boat solo gives me a sence of accomplishment. If I wanted it to be easy, I could've bought a motorboat. :^ (

Having said that, I know that there's no greater sense of accomplishment than when two or more come together and pool their talents and knowledge to accomplish a common goal. Now, I have to find a crew so I can race this doggone thing. :^ )

Happy Sailing,

David