Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie question
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I am new to sailing, sailed a few times in ocean with other people, want to try it myself. I have had the opportunity to control the Hobie 16 once, but my question is when sailing downwind & turn where the wind is blowing at the boat at a right angle, how do you reduce the chance of the boat getting blown over ? Laymens terms please. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Safety first. Never sail alone. That is, sail solo on the boat by all means, but travel in company: travel in the company of others, buddies, friends, competitors etc. even if they are on powerboats or kayaks or surfboards. If you insist on sailing alone, take along appropriate equipment (cell phone in waterproof case, VHF radio, IPIRB), dress well, take provisions, and make sure you can right the H16 by yourself. Also make sure that someone on shore is keeping an eye open for you. Practice before you go out. Even the Worrell 1000 folks have support.

Next, check the weather/tide reports.

Now, with the wind blowing at right angles to the boat, you are 'running'. If you want to turn upwind so that you will have the wind coming at you at about a 45 degree angle, then merely turn into the wind. If the wind is too strong for you, release the mainsheet, the rope that controls the mainsail. If the wind is still too strong, let the traveller out, first 6" then 12" then 18", until you feel you are under control. Move the jib travellers towards the outside, that is closer to the hulls. Hiking out helps, bur I suggest you tackle the basics of sailing before you try the 'Two Step Tango'.

Once you have turned upwind, or into the wind, you will likely end up having to sheet in, or tighten the ropes that control the main sail and the jib.

If you want to turn the other way, so that the stern (back) of the boat crosses the axis of the wind, that is called a jibe or a gybe. This can be fun, it can also be dangerous, so practice when the wind is lighter, and the chop is small.

To do a gybe, hold your existing course and gradually release the sheets (aka ropes) that control the main sail and the traveller and the jib sail as loose as they will go. This will slow you down, and allow you to maintain good control. Then slowly begin your turn, and then, throw the hotstick behind the H16, letting it drag in the water behind the boat, kneel at the centre-back of the tramp (usually facing backwards as well), and steer using the tiller cross bar. Yes, you have to rotate your head like a chicken does. Pick your wave, and turn the bow (the nose) of the boat about 110 to 140 degrees the other way, so that the stern (back) of the boat crosses the axis of the wind. Be careful of the main-sheet blocks and traveller car - as they come across the boat during the turn, they will REMOVE your wrist and hand that you are steering with. So let go the tiller cross bar with one hand, and use the other hand after the traveller etc has moved across. Remember also to keep your head down so that the boom does not go BOOM on your head.

As I said above, practice this in gentler conditions first, you may end up without a wrist and without a head!

The next thing we teach our students is that if you perform this manouevre gently, you should be able to reach up with your free hand and 'help' the mainsheet & blocks move across, instead of letting them slam. Lots of coordination and understanding required, especially as you are moving from one side of the H16 to the other to keep the boat balanced.

Once you are through the gybe, sheet in, trim the boat, and sail on.

Comments and suggestions from others?

Good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, thanks for easy term info, I plan to beach sail in July, will have partner(wife), I will only go out when the winds are light & calm surf. I have surf sailed a few times before, but I was not in charge of the boat. Last time was 15+years ago. Thanks for help & encouragement.

Post subject: OOPS
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You gave him good information, however when the wind is blowing at 90 degrees to the boat, it is coming across the beam and that is a beam reach. Not running. Running is sailing almost or exactly downwind, or in laymans terms, with the wind. Otherwise, good information.
Randy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

here here rashley, I was thinkin the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For some illustrations, as well as an excellent ready reference document, to go along with the above advice...

download this one

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686&MenuID=Training/10812/0

Hobie University