Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18sx mast repair
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My mast has corrosion at the base and at the lower diamond connection. Actually has holes eaten thru it, small pin heads and one pinky size. The rest of the mast is solid. How do I repair it? I am afraid of what would happen if it broke. Suggestions from the dealer were to sleeve it. Read a blog about sleeving it with 7 or 8 layers of carbon fiber. Anyone done this? If I have it welded won't it effect the heat treating? What should I do? A new mast is too expensive for this old boat. Thanks for any and all ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A new mast might be expensive, but a "new to you boat" can work. It it has a good mast you can part out the rest of the boat and make your money back... if not a little extra.

You have the entire force of the mast loading the corroded areas. Even with a sleeve I would be very careful about the mast. I know you don't want to hear it, but a replacement is probably the safest option.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spoke with a great repair guy in Venice, Ca. Had experience with this type of repair. He said the diamonds are in vertical shear and mast base is in compression. Said to sleeve at diamond attachment with 1/8" thick aluminum. Not to weld but rivet. That will give the diamond tang fresh metal to attach to. He was not worried about the mast breaking unless the diamond tore loose. The mast is not subject to extreme side load below the diamond tang. This sounds effective to me. I will photo document the repair and damage for future reference. Since this is a project boat with new sail plan I don't want to invest in a new mast until its tested. I'm calling it a 18F, can't call it an F18 due to curved beams. Ordering SX rigging today. When finished I will have a '82 18 magnum ( paint never worn off bottom, no glass repairs ever) with a 29'6" SX mast, Tiger sq top pentex main, fresh 18 jib, 12' end pole snuffer and elliott chute( cut for Tiger), epo carbon rudders, 8-1 cunningham downhaul and all Harken carbo blocks. I will check after finished but I expect to weigh around 430lbs rigged. Would like to see how it compares to the tiger. Maybe get a good racer to run it, I am not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck with your project. Wish I were a racer, sounds like you've done a great job.

My 1988 H18 is nearly a year old, and we found a set of SX 18 Wings in California. Next project is a spin. We'd love pictures and/or advice on how you did yours, where you got it etc. email is lunnjohn at magma dot ca

check us out at www.kanatasailing.com

First sail will be this Sunday

cheers