Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

How old are you?
1-20 6%  6%  [ 18 ]
21-25 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
26-30 11%  11%  [ 36 ]
31-35 9%  9%  [ 30 ]
36-40 7%  7%  [ 21 ]
41-50 30%  30%  [ 96 ]
51-60 23%  23%  [ 72 ]
61-70 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
70 plus? 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 320
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:42 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I have had the pleasure of working youth events where Mike competed. he is a great kid and one heck of a sailor! He is now teaching sailing in Miami FL, I can't think of anywhere else he would want to be, on the water teaching where the water does not freze over!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

h17cat wrote:
:D Nick, all good points, and solutions were are trying to provide in Seattle. At Sail Sand Point, see www.sailsandpoint.org, we are providing low cost boat storage right on Lake Washington. No trailer required, we even provide the Cat Trax. Low cost boats are available locally, and our fleet is growing. Also, the added Hobie 16 classes are helping. There are now five Hobie Waves, and four Hobie 16's in our fleet, with more to come as additional boats are donated, and fixed up by our local sailors. Hobie 101 and 102 taught by local volunteers provides a low cost one day introduction to new sailors and begining racers. Using our Waves in free Fast and Fun events also helps build interest in cat sailing locally.
Caleb Tarleton
Sail Sand Point
US SAILING Multihull Council
H-17 6446

Mr. Tarleton,

We used a copy of an aerial view of your facilities in our presentation to the Corp of Engineers, and that visual picture alone got them very excited about the possibilties. Thank you very much for being part of the ground work and an example for the rest of the nation.

A question regarding getting from a few people with a vision to "low cost boat storage". Obviously numbers keep the total cost for everyone down. Can you describe how it was in your early days? How did you tackle intial costs to get "over the hump?" Can you describe low cost, do you charge less to younger people?

Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ooops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:D Glad to hear we could be of help. Our vision is to set an example for other community sailing programs in the Country. See www.sailsandpoint.org and page down to see storage rates and contract. Everyone pays the same. At a cost of $3.25 per square foot per year it is very low. This is less than half of the cost for local dry storage, with out water access. The area used is the tarmac adjacent to building 27, that was an aircraft hanger for seaplanes, at the north shore of Sand Point Naval Air Station. Initially, after the Navy turned over the base to Seattle, we were able to talk them into using part of the tarmac for boat storage. A percent of the income was given back to the Seattle Parks Dept. Access to the water was limited to an old seaplane ramp. With the new development on the water front we now have three ramps. The revenue from the boat storage helps cover the costs of running the Sailing program at Sail Sand Point, a 501(c) 3 organization. Another model program is the Jericho Sailing Center in Vancouver, BC. It was also a Naval Air Station, that was turned over to the City. They have now been in operation for about 28 years.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

55 here.

Have been sailing for about 35 years. Had a H16, 2 H17's and now have a Getaway. It's a fun boat solo or loaded with friends. Have my eye on one of the new Adventure Islands. Looks like a great addition to our beach place. Hobie builds good stuff!

Post subject: age
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

23. Wish I'd started out sooner. But it's likely that I would have never got into hobie sailing if it wasn't for a certain man that unfortunately is no longer with us. He himself wasn't a sailor. But he had bought a hobie and never really had the chance to go out and sail it. I immediately became intrigued by the boat as it sat in his driveway and he was generous to offer it to me at a most reasonable price. Unfortunately I was never able to take him out for the ride I always promised him due to circumstance, but when I'm on the water I always think of him and the absolute joy that he has given me by helping me become the sailor that I now feel that I am. I will always be grateful for this generous and kind hearted man who always treated me as if I were family. I hope that one day in what ever cosmic realm that exists outside of this world that he and I are able to someday take that ride.

Last edited by abbman on Mon May 07, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

25 here got into Hobies about 5 years ago. After I got burned out on Jetskis.

Post subject: Poll
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

58 here. Aquired a Bravo in August and introduced my 2 teenage daughters to Hobie sailing which they think is very cool. Hope to move up to a Getaway next summer so we can all enjoy at the same time and get their friends involved...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, Hobie there you have it. The majority of your customers older. And no offense older guys but you all will not be around for ever. I hope that Hobie figures out a way to draw more youth into this sport. I know that all sailors would be willing to help if Hobie had some idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

44 year skipper
13 year old crew
H16
North Carolina

Post subject: 56
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 56 started in 79 on a 16, then a 14 Turbo and now a Hobie 17, Mystere 4.3 and sunfish. Here is current race boat I rae with grand daughter.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _album.php

Doug Snell

Last edited by DougHobie17 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just turned 51 and never sailed before. Bought my 16 about 5 years ago because I thought it looked to be the most fun you could have sailing and it would attract my kids to sailing. My son (now 19) got into it right away but my daughter (14) never really liked it until I got my trapeze set up and she heard the term "butt bucket." Before you know it, she was out on the wire and loving it! Last summer we had a bunch of her friends out for my daughter's birthday and they all got to "butt bucket," and it was a wild good time for all--including me. All we can do is get kids to try it, make it easy for them to get out, encourage them, and have fun while you're out and they'll get into it in droves.

I think Hobie is smart in the new boats they've come out with in that they seem to be easier to set up and probably easier to sail--which is a great intro to sailing. Because I learned my boat by reading, and trial and error, it used to take me forever to set up and take down. Just by experience (and by reading the H-16 forum) I've gotten my system down to where it is quick and easy now--and my sailing itself has improved. I'm just saying a simpler boat might have been a better start--not that I haven't enjoyed the whole thing. but a less persistent, (younger) person might not have stuck with it.

The other thing is, it seems to me, that there is very little local racing. Perhaps Hobie could make available a package--a template showing how to set up and run a race series or other events. Just seeing these great boats on the water more would attract more and younger people to the sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chas Man wrote:
The other thing is, it seems to me, that there is very little local racing. Perhaps Hobie could make available a package--a template showing how to set up and run a race series or other events. Just seeing these great boats on the water more would attract more and younger people to the sport.

Chas Man,

Excellent story!!! So cool to hear your kids are enjoying the Hobie.

In regards to racing there is great info in the Hobie University booklet. Go to http://www.hca-na.org/, click on pull down menu Training, select Hobie University and download.

You're in Hobie Division 7 which does a fantastic job of promoting youth sailing. In addition to doing something local it would be well worth the trip to Iowa to see a regatta in action and meet some new friends.

http://www.hobiecatdivision7.org/ or contact Chris Wessels [email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 45 and started sailing when I was 45. Man...the years sure go fast, don't they? :)

2005 Hobie 16 - Ventura Nationals Boat #21
http://www.JackieandAlan.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

33, cat sailed for the first time yesterday, on my new (second hand) h14T. Awesome experience, have not sailed for 20 years. Man, I can't wait to get out on the water again. Wanna get that hull flying! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next