Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

How old are you?
1-20 6%  6%  [ 18 ]
21-25 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
26-30 11%  11%  [ 36 ]
31-35 9%  9%  [ 30 ]
36-40 7%  7%  [ 21 ]
41-50 30%  30%  [ 96 ]
51-60 23%  23%  [ 72 ]
61-70 7%  7%  [ 22 ]
70 plus? 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 320
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After just one day of survey the numbers are about what I expected. Very few young people, I am glad to hear that all of your all's kids are getting into it but that leaves a huge gap in generation. Hobie needs to reach out to the college age students. Granted there isn't the instant gratification that you get from pwc's but it is alot more fun, and after a long day of sailing anyone should feel like they accomplished something.

I do not think that people should be able to vote for others, like you kids, no offense but are they truly hobie people. My dad took me on huge fishing trips every year, I loved them and always enjoyed them but now that I live on my own... I am not going on huge fishing trips. I think that this should just be owners or active crew that has the ability to make their own choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gree2056 wrote:
I do not think that people should be able to vote for others, like you kids, no offense but are they truly hobie people. My dad took me on huge fishing trips every year, I loved them and always enjoyed them but now that I live on my own... I am not going on huge fishing trips. I think that this should just be owners or active crew that has the ability to make their own choices.

Yes, one of them is a Hobie owner, we have 1.75 H16s (we just need a tramp and a mast(which we really just need to pick up) for the second), My 16 year old can sail solo and was fairly upset when I mentioned that I was going to the lake tonght, she does not get off work until 10:00 tomorrow, needless to say. that give me several more hours to get ready. I will have her create an account and vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:29 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
24 here...been sailing H16's as long as I can remember, got a sunfish the summer of the 3rd grade, H16 the next summer...did the beach rental thing for a few years and started Sunjammers at age 17.
I think we will start to see younger people here the more active we are online. I get very very few young sailors in the store, average age is 40ish.
its hard to target the younger crowed because there are only so many advertising bucks to go around, can't risk it on a maybe!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my first boat (an H16) when I was in college (22 years old). I bought my second Hobie (An H18) at 26.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

46 here. I agree with the instant gratification thing, generally speaking. However, my 16 yr old son and one of his friends are absolutely hooked. Only had to take them out once. Now here's what I find interesting. We are the only Hobie at our local lake. Additionally, it is rare to see any other sailing vessel at all. The local lake is huge H.S. hangout during summer months. Guess which boat everyone (all the young H.S. students and home for summer college students) wants to come look at? Guess which boat all the hotties want to check out? Answer: "That cool boat with the big white sails"!! Gotta love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am hoping that you talk up how inexpensive it can be to get into this sport!!!!!!

gone sailing again!!!!!!!

See ya Sunday eveing late.

Sam and kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Always talk up the inexpensive nature of the h-16. I've had many conversations relating the relative costs of my son's mtn bike vs. the hobie. Night and Day! Mostly, where I'm spending dollars or tens of dollars, he will be spending hundreds of dollars (repairs, parts, upgrades, etc...). The one that gets most of them is when I tell them I could have purchased 3 hobies for the price of his bike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

49 here, sailing for over 25 yrs., everything from small day sailors to 30 ft. cruisers. Just bought a getaway and absolutely love it ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

44....feel younger on Fridays than Mondays. I have two kids that I am trying to build an intrest in sailing. 8 and 13, both girls. With thier sports intrests taking so much time it is hard to get them to sail (Soccer, big in the Northwest).
I agree the demographic is mostly older or very lacking in the 20-40 age group. How do we generate intrest there. Is it awareness of the sport, most young people dont think of Cat sailing but they sure are familiar with snow boarding or wake boarding.

Who is it that can advertise this to the masses?

Wouldnt it be cool to see a Hobie commerial on the Extreme Games Competition.

Later,
Mike

Post subject: Reach out
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hobie needs to reach out to the college age students.

We do a lot of advertising these days and are getting lots of National / World press actually.

It is not that we don't try to reach the young crowd though. One of the recent attempts at reaching out was through the Fast and Fun program. We worked with US Sailing and helped to provide a semi truck and trailer of Hobie Waves (and some other gear) that went around the country for a few years. We keep looking for ways to reach the college level. There are lots of college sailing programs using Hobies.

This kind of excitement has to help! http://www.nissan.co.uk/uk/hobiecat/index.html

Once again... that is through Hobie Cat France, but we are an international marketing group through "Hobie Brands International"

You will see much more in the near future!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mike hensel wrote:
44....feel younger on Fridays than Mondays.

I know what you mean, and I really hate to see 6:30 Monday mornings.

Quote:
Wouldnt it be cool to see a Hobie commerial on the Extreme Games Competition.

How about the Water Channel or R and R channel, both have lots of xtream sports and some sailing. We even get them here in ABQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey me again, I loved the post above about all the Hotties liking the sail boat. I know this is a little off topic but this summer was the first time in 4 years that I have been single. I was worried at first but the first time that a group of four girls walked up at the lake wanting rides, all my dating fears went away!!!

Okay back to the topic, Hobie says that they are advertising but I watch alot of x-games and outdoor channels and have never seen a thing. I understand that advertising is expensive and I am not in any way trying to run down Hobie, they are an amazing company, but I would sure like to see just a short 20 second shot of a tiger or something with a hull up in the air. That would draw some people in!!!!!

I just looked at the poll, the younger age groups are almost non-existent!
Lets hope that we can turn this tide, I have seen a few younger people post on here, I am sure with some input from some of us Hobie could find ways to reach a younger crowd!

Post subject: 26
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

26 Here...
Sailing History....
8 - 12 Optimist
12-17 Laser
17-22 Dry land :)
22-26 Mistral One design Windsurfing... and Of course my loved H18

Post subject: 48 - Older and wiser!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

48 and aging gracefully!

Question to all....what's your targeted expiration date? That is, how long do you want to live?

Granted, I'm sailing on divine waters so I'm targeting to live to be 120.

And how about you?

Christopher
Holy Hobie

Post subject: 56 Here
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys:

I am 56. Started with a charity sail in 1979. Boats can be had cheap. I bought my 17 for $600 and rebuilt it.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php ... _photo.php

The 2002 Mystere 4.3 cost me $3000 and in like new condition, latest boat.

As for youth. I started my granddaughter at 7, she is 12 now. She loves it. She has 2 years of trap time and is start to get stick time.

I took my daughter boyfriend with to to Great Bay Race in Fort Walton to get 4.3. He said I am not get on any &(*&(^(^( catamaran, but after getting called a wuss. He gave in and went out with Kevin Smith on his carbon I-20. Mike came back grinning from ear to ear and is hooked now. We just need to give as many rides as we can. Ever time you see someone looking over your boat, ask them if they want a ride. We have made up some good flyers. If someone want one to modify, send me a email link.

Doug and Ashleigh Snell
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next