Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys first post here.

It would be great if I could get a little guidance on which Hobie Cat would best suit myself. I weigh 76kgs and initially thought the Hobie 14 turbo cat would be the best choice. However, after reading other post on the subject it seems many people on here prefer the 16 over the 14. After discovering this I was thinking I maybe a little heavy for the 14 especially when sailing with 2 onboard.

Also I better make clear I don't have any sailing experience but Im getting into this sport for the thrill of it.

Ill put the links below so you can see my two options if you wish to look.

Hobie 14 turbo
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-m ... 826819.htm

Hobie 16
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1009984698

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a thread on this forum where the different options were discussed. Take a look at it for information though everyone has a different opinion.

Having owned a Hobie 16 for 30 years, I am prejudiced toward them. I think the 14 would be disappointing after a while. You need to consider a few things. Where would you sail, lake, bay, or ocean? How often would you want to solo? At your weight which is about 165 lbs. you would not be able to right the boat if you went over. It would take two people. I sailed solo often but it was after I had a bit of experience. I wouldn't sail alone on the ocean. The 16 is an ideal boat for 2 people, very fast and exciting. It does have a tendency to bury a bow if you are not careful.

I suggest you look for somewhere that Hobies sail and try to crew on one of them. Most Hobie sailors are very helpful and like to encourage the sport.

Look through the forum threads for information on what to look for in a used boat. It might save you from getting a boat that needs work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Howard's post is excellent. Google 'the tragedy of Sven Schang' for a cautionary tale to advise your entry into the exciting sport of sailing Hobies. The story is a very rare occurance but in my beginner years I was somewhat careless and feel fortunate to have survived a number of shipwrecks on my treacherous home venue - Lake Mead, NV.
The Hobie 16 is an excellent choice for you if you are in it for the thrill. Your weight is what most of us heavier skippers who race wish we could be, that is those of us who race in the 16 class. While not actively racing that class now, it is always something I can jump on in a Hobie Class Association Regatta when not racing my other single handed Hobies. The H16 is a social boat and designed for Skipper and crewperson on board. It sails at its best speeds with a 300 lb. team, give or take. It begins to slow 310 and up, for racing that is, but no loss of enjoyment. Naturally, the asymmetrical hulls can be tippy for the novice, but with time the nuanced learning curve kicks in and you discover more and more ways to have a blast.
Buying an H16 requires a certain pickyness. That is, a lot of posts of 16s for sale grossly overstate their condition. Pictures often don't sufficiently show condition. Since the boat has been in production since the beginning of the 1970s it has gone through some significant changes, primarily in quality and weight. Not sure but I think over 100,000 have been produced. If I were in your shoes, knowing what I do now, I'd try to find a newer boat perhaps 10 yrs or less in age. Most of these will be in reasonably good shape and most of the best improvements have occurred during the last 10 years. If standing rigging wires show rust, then replace. If there are any signs of hull damage, pass it up. If the bottom race of the hulls are significantly worn, pass it up. Spend some time looking for a well maintained boat. Then after purchase, continue to take good care of it and it will retain most of the resale value. Best of Luck to You!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have lot's of options. As said earlier, you need to define some specifics-

Typical number of people on board.
Typical sailing location and conditions.
Performance requirements.
Interested in racing?
Price range/new/used?

Figure out what you want to get out of the boat and then you can be pointed in the right direction.

If you have a local fleet or dealer nearby, those can be very good resources. Even if there is just a local catamaran launch, try talking to some of the sailors there.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am a new sailor and I have to trailer each time I sail, so ease of one person setup was also a factor, plus I wanted confidence that I could right it myself.

I went a different path. I felt that the 14 would not work because I sail two-up about half the time (>300lbs combined). I did not feel confident setting up and sailing a 16 by myself, plus it wont fit in my garage so then I need to rent a storage space.

I went to the low-end of the range and bought a Wave. No idea if it was a good idea long-term, but so far it has satisfied all my needs. Not much use if you want to race or go fast though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own both, but if I had only one boat, it'd be the 16! Mostly use the turbo in higher winds when the 16 is unmanageable solo. at 76kg-~167lbs, you're pushing the limit on a 14 before you add crew. I'm about 160, and wouldn't consider crew on the 14!

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've owned 2 Hobie 17 SEs (no jib, with a boom) and now a Getaway. I've sailed a 16. Never been on a 14 or 18.
17s are great for 1 or 2 people. Fast and fun. The wings are great. Get the Sport Cat and you get a jib too. I never have had a problem righting any boat, but I weigh 200# (80+ kg).
I've soloed the 16 with no issues. I soloed my 17s and now my Getaway (also Thistle 17 and Interlaken 18 - monohulls. Ew.) with no issues. I have friends who solo 18s. I really think that for day sailers, as long as you can reach the sheets, you can solo them. Righting them may be a different story.
Personally, I think the 14 is a toy boat (sorry, 14'ers!). I want more hull which equals more speed. And yeah, I know the Getaway is not exactly a rocket ship. But you can really brutalize it before a hull flys! And when I'm carry little tiny granddaughters, I sort of don't want to make them swim.
So, if I were looking for a 1 or 2 person boat, and budget was important, I'd get a 16 in great shape.
If I had a few more bucks, I'd get a 17 Sport Cat in really great shape. But I'd research the hell out of it, and make sure the wing tunnels and centerboard tunnels don't leak! (This is a common problem.)
If I wanted to carry more people and wanted to go really fast, I'd get an 18 SX or Magnum (did I mention, wings are great?!)
If I wasn't all that worried about ultimate speed, but wanted to carry a bunch of people and drink beer while blasting Collective Soul out over the lake from a bluetooth speaker, I'd get the Getaway, which is what I did.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 14's no toy! At least for us smaller guys! Actually, I've always figured that if you can tack a unirig 14 consistently, you can tack just about any boat out there. Great boat to learn on, and I still use mine fairly often. In higher winds with weight on, takes a bit of touch and skill to stay upright. Speed wise, I'd put the turbo up there with a Getaway any day! Way faster than Wave or Bravo, slower than 16 or 17. There are toys out there though :) . ANY Hobie's a good boat in my eyes! Oh, and Gordo's really right on about the boats out there for sale! Shop around.Wide range of conditions and prices out there. Both my boats are 30+ years old, but both have been well cared for though sailed hard. I wouldn't hesitate to take the 14 sailing in the surf tomorrow. 16 I'd want to work on a little before I'd take her out there. There are newer boats in pretty bad shape and a few boats going on 40 years old in nice shape. My friend across the road picked up a late 70's or early 80's vintage 16 last year. Except for a softer sail and some rigging replacement it was in great shape
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

turbofan wrote:
The 14's no toy! At least for us smaller guys!

I know, sorry for my snobbish attitude! And I'm sure a turbo is faster than my Getaway. I like it a lot, but it's not very fast compared to the fiberglass Hobies. At 200# though, I need a substantial hull under me. I found my 17s to be a bit low volume. But fun!

Too many canoes and kayaks