Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've noticed that Hobie Class Association has put up the Hotiline from the beginning through May/June 1995. Then in another location they have the Hotline from January/February 2008 (this seems to be the period when Matt Bounds' Wolverine One-Design Management has been publishing it).

Are there plans to put up July/August 1995 through November/December 2007? I've been reading through them and finding not only some tips, but also a better understanding of the history of Hobies and beach catamaran sailing.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Post subject: Re: Hotline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

There was no Hotline from mid-1995 to December 2005. The NAHCA News (later, HCA News) was published from mid-1992 until December 2005, when the name was changed (with Hobie Cat Co.'s permission) to the Hotline.

The NAHCA News issues exist only on paper from 1992 to mid-2002. I've started scanning them, but it's a huge project (it's 50+ issues). I'm also missing a few issues.

I have the files for all the issues after that, but again, it's a project to get them on the web. To complicated matters, GoDaddy has screwed up my hosting server so that I can't edit the website. It took five calls to tech service to fix the hcanamembers.com site (sort of). That's another project.

There have been several NAHCA News editors. Dan/Kathy Kulkoski produced the first issue, then I did the next 10 or so, then Shirley Palmer took it over for almost 10 years. Mike Levesque did it for a couple of years before handing it back to me in mid-2004.

Bottom line - it will get done - eventually.

Post subject: Re: Hotline
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you for the prompt reply, Matt. Then again, with the weather the way it is at the moment in the northern parts of the US, what else is there to do?

I wondered if there was a gap because it didn't exist. It's actually very impressive that Hobie was able to maintain such a consistent publishing schedule.

Let's see. 50+ issues. 60 pages an issue. A minute a page to scan, if you're lucky. Yeah, you've got a massive task in front of you. I'm sure you'll get it done, but understand it's going to be taking a while. I'm impressed with all the older issues going online.

Jim