Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Even if the f16 class doesn't ever get as big as the H16 class they need to address the sailors needs. The H16 is a great boat and in it's prime was the hot boat to be on but I think everyone will agree that it is an old design. Something like it just newer....F16 class boat... would be really cool to see around.

Post subject: Questions?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
how long have the plastic boats been around, anyway?

We introduced the (most recent) plastic boats in the early-mid 90's starting with the Hobie Wave. We have made "plastic" boats since the 70's. The Mono Cat was thermoformed ABS. There were also several other models over the years.

Quote:
Does Hobie have any research going in the F16 field? I mean what happens if that class takes off and it takes Hobie five or so years to respond?

Nothing official in the USA, but being a development class... you can't really fall too far behind. Things change constantly in these classes. That in itself is a real pain for manufacturing. Better to wait till the class settles out and designs are more consistent. I would imagine this coming from France if it were to happen. We have plenty of interested sailors and sailor engineers here to do it, but we have to think business like, not emotionally. If it makes sense, we can do it... and within a year.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Last edited by mmiller on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

>>Hull molds are not the biggest issue... extrusions for crossbars is. They are specific to the 17.

What is the actual likelyhood of being able to get replacement crossbars in the future (5 to 10 years)? My previous 17 developed corrosion and eventually cracked both bars (I wasn't the original owner, so I don't know how it was treated during it's first 15 years).

Should I be keeping my eyes out for used X-bars? Or does Hobie have enough stock for projected future needs?

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Wave was introduced in late 1994.

Post subject: Crossbars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Should I be keeping my eyes out for used X-bars? Or does Hobie have enough stock for projected future needs?

That is part of the process. Trying to anticipate replacement part needs.

We have stock to last 5 or more years by quick estimate.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have seen the SL16, the boat that US Sailing is trying to push for their youth multihull boat. I can say without a doubt that I am unimpressed, besides the boat having a Spinaker, I think it will do more harm then good to the Youth Multihull sailing platform.

US Sailing, and anyone trying to open up multihull sailing and racing to the youth sailing program has to understand that it is a niche sailing platform, and does not have the same acceptance, and well established advancement platform that monohulls enjoy.

Creating a class of boats specifically for youth multihull racing, that might be a closer stepping stone to the F-18, while looking good in theory, is not as practical as using a Hobie 16 for Youth Sailing / Training.

The SL16 does not ahve an established class in the US, youths might be able to sail one or two regatta's a year, Where do you get boats. There is currently 1 in So Cal, with the promis of 8 for an event being planned in the future.. Where do these youths get boats to practice on?

The Hobie 16 enjoys a huge active racing fleet, that is more and more opening to youth involvement, there are TONS of boats available for them to practice on year round.

To me the push for an F-16 or SL16 boat from Hobie Cat seems, premature, and ill concieved at best.

I do hope the Fx-One picks up more acceptance though, as I am thinking of buying one when my 16 is paid off.

Post subject: Hobie 17
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys:

The Hobie 17 may be gone, BUT it will still kick your ASS in High Portsmouth if you are not careful 8) :) :twisted: :roll: And in 15 and up it is a HOOT :wink: Just try one sometime. AND they can be had for cheap. It is a GREAT single handler.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend with an H14T, and he loves it single-handed. But I couldn't hope to sail it as I am too heavy. As well, when he takes one of his kids out it converts to a submarine unless there is substantial wind. I love my H18, have never seen a 17. How does the 17 compare in floatation to the 18?

Dave

Post subject: Less
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave:

It should be less, because it is a foot shorter. Sam basic hull though. I have had three adults and a 100 lbs child and in about 10-12 it still tried to lift a hull. They are good single boats for us heavy guys. I run from 200-220 lbs.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The H17 definitly has less floation than the H18. Not only is the H18 a foot longer, but it was designed for a 2 person crew while the H17 for a one person crew while racing. You can put more than on eor two people on the H17, but it will be a dog. Just like when I had 4 guys all over 225lbs on my old H16. It still floated and move forward but by no means did it have perforamnce even resembling that of when there are only on or two people on it. The hulls will still want to fly even with all that weight on board since hull flying in indicative of healing moment, not speed.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Hull
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:34 am 
Site Admin

The 17 is a chopped down Hobie 18 hull. They took hull height off. Same basic keel as the 18. Less freeboard and ultimate volume.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm, if you want a replacement set of cross beams, I would not wait. My H17Sport was sitting on the shore last summer bare mast and was demasted during a wind storm (see photo). The front cross beam was cracked near both hulls and had to also be replaced. The replacement from Hobie was delayed because they had to make it. On the bright side, the new cross beam came with the integrated track (like the H16) and with a couple of modified H16 track cars I now can change the sheet angle (previously fixed). :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Image 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fastcat-

It makes me wonder if the front crossbar is not undersized for the loads of the 17 sport (more power, more crew weight). Perhaps your crossbar was cracked before the boat was flipped on the beach.
My previous 17 had been used as a sport (I believe because it had cleats on the front crossbar although it did not come with a jib package). The front crossbar was cracked on the bottom on both sides in the vicinity of the inboard hull anchor point.

The used one that replaced it did not develop cracks to my knowledge.

Hopefully my new boat won't be a problem :)

Post subject: So for no problems
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So far I have had no problem when I add Sport system and reacher to my 1986 17.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=Doug-and-Ashleigh-Snell&id=IMG_0736&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Doug

Last edited by DougHobie17 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.