Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Hobie, or other
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife and i are looking to move from our Wayfarer dingy to a cat. Living in Grand Cayman the prevailing conditions are 10-15knts, frequently 15-20knts. We have a faily eaually spread crew wieght of 310lbs and are both 5'11. The boat needs to be 18' or less to avoid import duty and something with wings appeals as my wifes back would be most comfortable sitting out on that (maybe). Any ideas? We would really like a new boat or the 18sx would seem perfect.

cheers

steve

Post subject: What model?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hobie Getaway (16' 7") with wings or the Wave (13') with back rests.

If you will single hand, the Wave. If you will both be on board all the time... the Getaway. The Wave is a hoot in windy and wave conditions!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:15 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
could not agree with Matt more! We still single hand the getaway, but when it gets that winds it gets tough!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Put a real boat on Cayman, 18sx with wings sounds perfect. It's too bad the dealers don't sell new ones anymore, they may help you get a great used one though..... Cayman is too beautiful of an island to buy a boat that looks like a rental. There is a reason they quit making the 18, they don't die. At least with an 18 people won't be asking you; "Where did you rent that?" If I was in Caymen I'd buy a sweet condition 18 and keep a full cover on it when I wasn't on it. With your weight a 16 w/wings is something to consider, an easier to set up as well? 16's don't die either. dealers?

Post subject: Looks like a rental?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:56 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a rental? Maybe to a savy Hobie 18 fan, but I know that most people have no idea of the difference. When we came out with the Wave, many people thought it was gel coated... shiny and white. No difference to the average eye. If you read through the Getaway forums you will find people are VERY happy with them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mr. Miller is quite correct. I have previously owned and raced H16 and H17, both in younger days, but for my lifestyle now the Getaway fits, many years of mainenance free hulls, a true beach boat. Yes not as fast but just as fun and with lots of friends aboard to boot. As for the plastic hulls being disposable, not everyone is interested in bottom jobs and patching fiberglass. ymmv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh, I'm sorry Matt, your right I've never seen a cat rental place have Waves or Getaways. Caymen is paradise, and I bet you've never been there since your on the other side of the block. I never said anybody would not be happy with a getaway and never will. The thread started with a couple with a combined weight of 310 and wanted wings and they live on a beautiful island and never said anything about wanting to sail with more than two. Can you tell them why a wave or a getaway would be a better choice for them than a "new" 16 with wings, possibly the sexiest boat on the planet with or without wings? Also, what are the two most popular catamaran rentals in the world right now? and how big are those rental fleets? Gumbycat, I've got a 20 year old 16 and it's never had a "bottom job", besides I'd rather get a bottom job than "dispose" of them in a landfill and buy new ones. I might have been born on a weekend, but not last weekend. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buzzman, you are correct, the H16 is a great boat and deserves hall of fame for design and sailability. You may be slightly biased that if it isn't fiberglass, it isn't worth having. My new H16 needed a bottom job after 3 years of sailing down here on these sand/shell beaches. Of course it was sailed year round most every weekend. H17 faired better. We'll see how well the Getaway holds up, I'm hopin for 10 years. If I still sailed competively, I'd consider the Tiger, now that is one sexy boat.